Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:39 PM   #1

Default Fly and a ladybird (ladybug)

Really bad day in work today, lots of stress, people being just hateful for the sake of it so was glad to get out for my walk today. Went half way around the lake, moaning that there was nothing to shoot (other than damselflies) and noticed a ladybird sat on my shoulder.

Carefully scooped him/her up onto my thumb and tried putting it down on a nearby fern (figured it would look nice with the colour contrast) and the little thing decided he much prefered my thumb, had a wander around and sat down for a wash before taking off.

Of course the moment I start taking photo's of him, half a dozen people from my office walk past, all they see is a weird bloke taking photo's of his extended thumb, Fonzie-style...

After trying to stop myself digging a large hole to bury myself (but thankful I cut my nails this morning) I found a rather cute fly... well cute is subjective, but I liked his colouring and head.

This wee fella was the most accommodating bug I have shot in a while, he turned and posed, and didn't blink (figuratively speaking) when I moved the leaf next to him out of the way. Below is the shot before I moved the leaf out of the way of the flashgun, but the mrs thought it looked nice, so thought I would upload it as well to see what others thought.

There's a classic car rally this weekend, so hopefully I can show you some shots of a different sort of "bug"
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2010, 8:16 PM   #2

Nice going Ash,
I find photo therapy is a great stress reducer! Don't know what to tell you about the co-workers though... this one is gonna be hard to live down.

I like the last fly shot really well, great detail on the eyes. good shot.

Speaking of detail... I wonder if I sent that thumb shot to Interpol, what they'd make of it, any wants or warrants?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:03 AM   #3

LOL! Sorry GW - it wouldn't do any good because the angle is wrong, doesn't show what you need for ID.

The last one is rather cool - an arty fly shot. I can see why your wife likes it, it has a nice sort-of mysterious feel to it.

Don't worry about your co-workers, all of mine think I'm really crazy too. On the other hand, they've all seen my screen-saver and that's made up of whatever pictures I've taken recently (many posted here). They all love the pictures so now they are more curious to see what I've found interesting.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 3:31 AM   #4

Thanks both!

Yes the walk with the camera is most relaxing, and after being stuck in front of a computer for hours on end it's nice to get some fresh air.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 3:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Thanks both!

Yes the walk with the camera is most relaxing, and after being stuck in front of a computer for hours on end it's nice to get some fresh air.

I agree! That is why I even make the most of when the weather is not so good.. just better to get out and about and take the camera with ya.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 4:43 AM   #6

Ha ha - well at least you know we are all in the same boat. Had we been there we'd have been taking photos of your thumb - wonder what your co-workers would have thought of that

2nd shot of the ladybird is great - did you use on-board flash ?

That fly DOES have a special look about him. Almost alien-like !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 5:13 AM   #7

Yeah a group of people taking photo's of my thumb might have looked worse LOL

Thanks Frogfish!

For all the photo's I use my old Soligor flash, had to shoot in manual to make sure the shutter doesn't go too fast and not trigger the flash. With the Tamron 90mm it extends too far for the onboard flash to illuminate the subject as it's so close to the front of the lens.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 8:07 AM   #8

Actually I've checked that and found you can use the on-board flash, and for me it's worked better on occasion that the dedicated flash (reduced power). Trick is to keep the T90 between 1:1.14 and 1:1.15 anything closer and it casts a shadow.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 8:56 AM   #9

Yeah but I want EXTREME 1:1! LOL
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:20 AM   #10

[QUOTE=mtngal;1106829
Don't worry about your co-workers, all of mine think I'm really crazy too.

[B]Yes Harriet, but there's a reason they think that way.[/B]

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote