Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 12, 2010, 5:33 PM   #11

could you tell us a bit about how you setup the water? and how you got the nice clean look?
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 5:46 PM   #12

Sure thing!

It's really very simple:

Grabbed a white ceramic bowl (large) out of the cupboard, filled it with about an inch of water. Set the camera up on a tripod, with another flash connected to an optical slave 90 degrees to the left of the camera. Found an old syringe from when I had to give my son medicine when he was a baby, and filled it with water.

Held a remote (wired) trigger in one hand, and in the other held the syringe about 3/4 of a meter above the bowl, roughly guessing where the drop was going to land.

Squeezed the syringe and clicked the remote trigger according to when the droplet dropped. For the suspended droplet shots I fired as soon as the droplet left the syringe. For the other shots I fired a fraction afterwards.

Not sure what to say about the clean look, only spent about a few minutes setting everything up, took the shots then packed away again.

I can re-set everything up and take a shot of the process if you want, won't take long.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 5:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Its nice to hear I'm not the only one that really doesn't care one way or the other about sports. I don't know why, my dad was a sports fan, I just never was.
Same here. I guess that's why we never clicked. I just found it a waste of time.

Anywaaaaaays.... Tachikoma, I've done this on a couple occasions with some astonishing results and I think I'll probably do it again this winter. Too much nice outside stuff to capture! Nice images!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 7:28 PM   #14

Since I'm an American, it's probably unpatriotic to admit that I'm as bad as Frogfish when the Cup is on, and, after today I have to amend my cheering so that it encompasses the Red, White, Blue, and Green. (Couldn't resist that one, Frog.)

Still, though, I'm like the others who have said they're going to have to set up the water-drop shot. I've admired others who have done it, and since I have a few hours before I have to go to bed early so I can get up for the early morning match tomorrow, I may try to do it tonight.

Tachikoma, terrific job. I like the monochrome.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:47 AM   #15

Thanks both!

gjtoth: I took these at night in my living room, was bored so thought I would give it a try again, there was nothing else to take photo's of at that time.

Paul: Go for it mate, would love to see what others come up with. That's part of the beauty of things like this, it's pure random what shapes you get.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 1:22 PM   #16

The low contrast is way more effective than I would have expected. Nice job.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 7:05 PM   #17

Very nice results - thanks for the information about the setup as well!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 1:48 AM   #18

Thanks both!