Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:42 PM   #1

Default Water droplets

Trying to avoid the TV as I hate The World Cup, so thought I would try doing the old water droplet thingy, not done it in years. Quite pleased with the results, but last time I did it properly was on my 5MP Fuji S5600 camera which couldn't resolve the tiny bits of fluff and whatnot floating in the water...

I used to do this with coloured gels over the flash, but thought I would go for a monochrome look this time.

Forgot to say, taken with the kit lens, the onboard flash as a keylight (if that's the right term) and the old Soligor flash diffused on an optical slave to fill in from the left.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2010, 8:00 PM   #2

Great job Ash!
That's something I haven't tried to do yet. One day soon when I can make myself put other things aside, I'll have to set up for it and give it a try.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:56 PM   #3

I keep saying I'm going to try this and haven't yet. I really love the first one and the monochrome look. Very effective. I really should try this!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 3:29 AM   #4

Thanks both!

It only took me 10 minutes to set up the camera, shoot probably 40 photo's and pack up again. 10 minutes of 2 flashes going off every 2-3 seconds makes it feel longer.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 4:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I keep saying I'm going to try this and haven't yet. I really love the first one and the monochrome look. Very effective. I really should try this!
Everything she said !

Great job - I like them all but LOVE that first one. Print and hang.

Ash, I absolutely can not understand a fellow Brit (well I suppose you are Welsh so can be excused) not loving football - I will stay up to watch EVERY match as I always do, my Chinese wife's family knows I'm nuts and by now (after 24 yrs) they will put up with, even if not quite understanding, the obsession. I come from Liverpool, well just across the Mersey, and we say there are three religions in our city because we have Protestant & Catholic cathedrals ... and football !!

Last edited by Frogfish; Jun 12, 2010 at 4:53 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 5:21 AM   #6

Cheers Frog!

Football, Rugby, Tennis, Golf, whatever, there's no sport I really watch. I enjoy playing them, but watching it is worse than watching Eastenders or X-Factor. If there's nothing on TV I will just read, fiddle with the camera doing stuff like this, play a videogame or browse photography sites.

It's actually the "religion" bit of football I don't enjoy, I just can't connect with it, I see grown men crying when Team X loses and scratch my head in confusion. Each to their own though, most football fans would do the same if they saw all the Japanese programs I watch. Seriously, go download "Liar Game" it's brilliant!
Old Jun 12, 2010, 3:28 PM   #7

The first shot is WOW, maybe something I can try in a few days, having the same problem with those sports as you do.

Thanks for the motivation

Ronny
Old Jun 12, 2010, 3:32 PM   #8

Awesome mate
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 3:57 PM   #9

Thanks both!

I find it interesting everyone likes the first one so much, I don't really like it. If you look up water drop shots online you see most people with similar shots to the first one, so I think it's pretty generic. That shot in varying quantities of drops hovering was the most common I took that night.

Glad to hear I am not on my own with not enjoying the football season though, go get to it Ronny!
Old Jun 12, 2010, 4:03 PM   #10

Its nice to hear I'm not the only one that really doesn't care one way or the other about sports. I don't know why, my dad was a sports fan, I just never was.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote