Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:49 AM   #1

Default Testing the macro flash...

These photos aren't particularly interesting but, I wanted to test the old Canon ML-1 Macro flash that I modified to work on the Pentax.
Still a couple issues to work on. One is rather simple. I either have to by a lens that works with the adapter rings I already have or get an adapter that fits the lens I have.
for some reason I haven't figured out yet, I have to turn the flash battery pack off and back on again after each time I take a shot or it won't fire the next time.

Of course, the way this is set up it only work as a manual flash at full power. That's a little inconvenient but, can be overcome with the use of a little creative defuser technique.

First try, I used a small polished pebble a little smaller than a dime, set on a sheet of white paper. camera on tripod shooting down at about a 45 degree angle. I was using a desk lamp as a flood to help me focus better and, as I figured the flash would override the lamp, I left it on when I took the shot. Tamron 28-80 with the Viv 2X TC f:44 at 1/180th
I was surprised it came out as well as it did. no blowouts. I was also surprised with the multiple shadows, all 3 lights seemed to cast there own.

OK, I thought I was good to go but, I wanted something with a little more structure. looking around for something to shoot, I decided on a video card I had l laying out. Used the same white paper background.

My first try was a wash out,(both left & right macro lights and flood lamp) way too much light even at f:44 1/180th. so I cut a piece of white copy paper (20# bond) into strips that fit over the 2 lights and taped them in place with scotch tape.

That worked better but still too bright so, I tried it with left macro light only. note shadow on right.

Better but, still has a hot area on lower left. Decided to use dark green background. both lights, less shadow

Left light only. shadow on right. I think this is where I added another layer of paper to the left macro light.

I was about 2ft away so, I moved in a foot and used both lights.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Jun 13, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:58 AM   #2

Looks good to me!

Just bought a cheap Centon (Jessops) MR2-0 ringflash off eBay and an adapter ring to fit the Tamron 90mm. Should be here middle of next week.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:59 AM   #3

Here I changed to the Pentax 50mm 1.7 and Viv 2X. Used both lights, you can see just a slight shadow to the left as the right light only had one layer of paper on it.

And here with only the left light on.

Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:02 PM   #4

You're fast, you got in before I even finished posting.
Sounds like a deal Ash. keep us posted!

Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:13 PM   #5

Aye was 27 (+ shipping) and 4 for the adapter ring, even if it's junk it's a forgettable amount. Won't be as configurable as yours as it's just the one ring bulb, but will probably try the paper diffuser idea like you are doing.

Looking forward to seeing what you achieve with this when you find a juicy bug to shoot!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 4:18 PM   #6

LOL! Got one chilling in the fridge right now.

Old Jun 14, 2010, 2:10 PM   #7

Great stuff GW, that creative diffuser technique surely works.

Now I'm waiting to see some real world shots
Old Jun 14, 2010, 2:24 PM   #8

Coming up soon, Ronny. I hope... have some other issues come up that I need to take care of first.