Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 13, 2010, 5:45 PM   #11

Thanks mate! And thanks GW! GW guided me through some really neat procedures... I think, as you see, there REALLY is a difference! Oi, GW, this weekend has been about "discoveries"!!! Thanks to you, I found out a new way to do things, and what a difference!!!! the second discovery is that a huge supermarket here Finland sells the best bitter beer from England!!! So, if you are ever in Finland, I owe you several pints of good English beer!!! Thanks so much for your kind help and patience. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 5:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
That's better!

Yeah there's just no comparison, the first one looks great, the latter not so much.
Too right you are, Ash! Man am I really happy. I almost feel as excited as the day that my K7 arrived. GW and mtngal have been very helpful. But, look at these two photos... holy cats, what a difference.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 5:56 PM   #13

Oops, it showed up while I was posting.

BTW, I pulled these over to the other monitor, and I changed my mind from what I said in the PM. I should always check photos on both before making a judgment.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Jun 13, 2010 at 6:02 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:44 AM   #14

Not to worry, GW, not to worry at all!

Below is NEW way of resizing, thanks to your help. There is still one or two procedures that need improving when I do post processing, I am sure that will help. And, again, I am not saying the following photo is perfect, I would say that if anything more needed to be done, it should be in very small steps... The other photo is oversharp, and a few other things. I find this one to better off for observing details, etc.

Old Jun 14, 2010, 5:20 AM   #15

The new way is a lot better, the old one is oversharpened and has a lot less detail, but you already said that.

Normally when in doubt I zoom in and check them at 200-400% (it's pixel peeping I know but it works)
If you zoom in with the first version you'll see a white ring around the almost black leaves. When you sharpen to much it'll accentuate the edges by enhancing the contrast. Here it's so hard that the edges become white (halo).

Also the nr of colors in the first one (easily seen in the clouds) is a lot less, what gives more pixels compared with the second.

Don't see any big enhancements that you can make to your new resizing method.
Attached Images

Last edited by rhermans; Jun 14, 2010 at 5:25 AM.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 7:39 AM   #16

Wow, this is really good to know and remember! Thanks for taking the time to point these things out!! Ned
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:49 AM   #17

Like others, I have had problems posting pictures that lose quality when posted on the web, so let me get this straight. Save a .jpg as .tiif, process and then save as .jpg?
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:25 AM   #18

More detail in the first one but not as well exposed.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
Like others, I have had problems posting pictures that lose quality when posted on the web, so let me get this straight. Save a .jpg as .tiif, process and then save as .jpg?
No, I NO LONGER save it as a JGEG... I keep it as tiff, then do all my processing, then upload everything to Zenfolio... I have struggled as you have, but now I have really seen the light on this matter... I am not out of the woods yet, and still have tons of learning to do with PSE8.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
More detail in the first one but not as well exposed.
Thanks, Ed! I thought I would present two photographs that have the same pp adjustments... without changing one versus the other. Yes, the exposure could be better. Thanks, and all the best to you and yours. Ned