Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:45 AM   #1

Default Why Is This Happening

I have had a Pentax ist DL2 for a few years now never any problems. A few days ago against my better judgement I decided to upgrade to software version 1.0.2 due to the fact that doing so allows user to now use SDHC cards. This morning I tried to put my Zenitar 16mm on the camera just to take a few shots and the camera feels like it's dead the shutter won't fire up and I can't get any reading at all. I put back the 18-55 mm lens back and all is fine. What have I done wrong the Zenitar use to work just fine be it in M mode most of the time, COULD IT BE THE SOFTWARE UPDATE, if so could I go back to the version I had on before.
quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:56 AM   #2

Default Why is this happening

Why Is This Happening
I have had a Pentax ist DL2 for a few years now never any problems. A few days ago against my better judgement I decided to upgrade to software version 1.0.2 due to the fact that doing so allows user to now use SDHC cards. This morning I tried to put my Zenitar 16mm on the camera just to take a few shots and the camera feels like it's dead the shutter won't fire up and I can't get any reading at all. I put back the 18-55 mm lens back and all is fine. What have I done wrong the Zenitar use to work just fine be it in M mode most of the time, COULD IT BE THE SOFTWARE UPDATE, if so could I go back to the version I had on before
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:14 AM   #3
Administrator

It probably just changed some of your Custom Settings back to factory defaults.

Press your Menu button and go into your Custom Settings screens and find the Use Aperture Ring choice. Change it to Permitted so that the shutter will work with lenses that don't have an Aperture Ring set to an A position (the camera defaults so that the shutter won't work unless you change that setting to Permitted in your Custom Menu options).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 1:26 PM   #4

JimC:

Your diagnosis was spot on . I had to go under using aperture ring and changed to permitted. I'm back in business and very happy since I intended to use the 16mm on my trip to New York in a few weeks. Thanks very much for your help.
Ross
Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:49 PM   #5

Have your camera settings gotten changed back to default? I think the Zenitar is a manual lens and it sounds like your custom menu option to use lenses with aperture rings has gotten changed back to the default "no". Does the camera show F-- in place of the aperture?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:58 PM   #6
Administrator

Hey quartz:

I'm glad you got it working again.

But please note that we prefer it if members do not post the same questions in multiple forums. Otherwise, all of the answers are not in the same thread (with members not realizing that other members may have already answered some of the same questions, as was the case when mtngal just responded, not realizing that you had started another thread on the same subject).

It's also not fair to other posters to post the same questions in multiple forums (since threads you start sort higher than other threads already in those forums).

Posting the same questions to multiple forums is known as "cross posting", and is frowned upon in most forums because of those reasons. IOW, it's not considered to be good forum etiquette to cross post (posting the same thing to multiple forums). You probably didn't know that. I'm just pointing out for future reference.

So, I've now merged the two threads you started on this subject into one thread.

Again, I'm glad your camera/lens combo is working as expected again. Please share some photos from your trip if you get a chance.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 4:35 PM   #7

JimC:
Sorry about the double post. I guess panic got the best of me and I wanted to make sure that someone could guide me to figure out what was wrong.
mtngal:
Thanks for your reply things are back to normal.
Ross
Old Jun 18, 2010, 4:54 PM   #8

Hey Ross,
In order to redeem yourself, you'll have to share your photos from NY with us when you get back.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 5:55 PM   #9

Goldwinger:
That sounds fair.