Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:47 PM   #11

Wonderful shots! Amazing what LR3 did - I didn't try it when it was out in Beta, now if I can find a good excuse to upgrade I just might.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 3:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
These are fabulous, Ronny!
I'm surprised with the ISO 3200 shots, they turned out great.
Funny, the Ferris wheel is one of the few rides I will go on.
They do have
(as you have shown) a fantastic view!
Thanks GW
Old Jun 20, 2010, 3:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Wonderful shots! Amazing what LR3 did - I didn't try it when it was out in Beta, now if I can find a good excuse to upgrade I just might.
Thanks Harriet,

I had the beta, but never used it much - there was a difference between the NR but never really tested it on real situations.
A few weeks back the LR3 appeared and I used one of my backup usb disks for the upgrade. (pc at work), and was very happy with the results.
I then downloaded some high image shots from a review site (k20,K7,Kx) and tried to see what I could get out of them. The Kx stays the winner but the K20 and K7 are very close.
After that result I decided to get the update (myself) . [I'm still trying to get the photoshopcs5 through my boss/work, but that takes time - and to be honest costs to much]
Old Jun 20, 2010, 8:05 AM   #14

Adobe offers very good academic discounts, so I can get both for significantly less than the retail price. Maybe this fall I'll think of some really good reason to upgrade both programs. I upgraded to CS4 from CS2 and LR2 when I switched computer platforms - that was really convenient!
Old Jun 20, 2010, 8:41 AM   #15

Harriet, I've read that the improvements in CS5 are more for the graphic artist and web features than they are for the photographer. Even at the academic upgrade price, I think I'll wait for CS6.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:04 AM   #16

I don't think I would upgrade the cs4 to the cs5 if I had to pay for it, (even at academic discount).

Lightroom is another story. The one thing I had against Lightroom was not being able to get a descent noise reduction in it. I tried dfine from Nik Software, but that didn't give the results I wanted.
So when having to much noise I used NoiseNinja under Photoshop to clean the pictures up.

Now LR3 has a much better NR, as good as any other plugin you can get, so for me the upgrade was worth it. Also its a lot less than the photoshop.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:49 AM   #17

Great shots Ronny - love the river view.

Antwerp holds great memories for me as I moved down there from Amsterdam to work for a few months and met my wife there. I lived on the Plantein en Moretuslei (if I've remembered how to spell it correctly ! ) near to the Kaiserlei by the station.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 9:15 PM   #18

Thanks for the opinions, my intention is always to skip a generation when it comes to Photoshop. LR isn't bad with the discount.

As far as noise reduction, I never got along well with Noise Ninja for some reason. I like Topaz Lab's Denoise, especially the latest version, though its slow. It would be nice if I could have a faster option that works well, so I'll probably do that and skip CS5 for now.