Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 20, 2010, 2:25 PM   #1

Default Lichen anyone?

Just returned from 6 days in the deep forest in central Finland... not the best weather. I took a walk along a path into the woods... I came across a most beautiful scene, a portion of the forest where the ground was nothing but moss and lichen, at least I hope I got the English term (Lichen) correct. The following pictures are blurry, and the sun was going in and out all the time, so I plan to retake these pictures when I go back in early July. I love this stuff, and I only wish I could have got a better photo of what I saw. The last photo is cabin at the place I was staying, though I had a newly constructed cabin all for myself.

The next photos WILL be better, sharper, better focused, etc., just wanted you to see this beautiful stretch of forest.

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2010, 5:09 PM   #2

You are one lucky guy, Ned!
Beautiful scenery.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 6:25 PM   #3

Just awesome, I will come visit your country eventually!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:18 PM   #4

I would guess that's lichen but am not a person who knows much about biology so don't take my word for it. In any case, it's a lovely location and I'll look forward to more pictures from there.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:29 PM   #5

Eetu

That is beautiful country. You are lucky to have a place like that to visit.

Here in California these are what we call lichens.

They grow on the rocks
Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:53 AM   #6

Hello everyone! Thanks for your kind words, and thank you for your patience. I hesitated at first, since the pictures were actually blurry and not enough direct sunlinght. As I said earlier, I will retake these photos in early July. It was just so awesome, I was walking along a path, deep in the woods, looking to me left, it looked like a half an acre of a funny sort of snow... I stepped off the path, the stuff was so thick. It was a forest wonderland of sorts. So thanks for your patience and wait for the reshoots and more. Oh the path ends at a lake with a sauna.

Take care.

Ned
Old Jun 22, 2010, 2:20 PM   #7

Ned - some wonderful color and great composition. Thanks for sharing your wonderful views of a lovely place!

You are correct in calling these lichens. There are many species of lichen, some colorful crusts like in Mike's photo, others with more structure/texture. Always they are made of a fungus & an algae working together (a fungus and an algae that "took a likin" to each other!)
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 4:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Ned - some wonderful color and great composition. Thanks for sharing your wonderful views of a lovely place!

You are correct in calling these lichens. There are many species of lichen, some colorful crusts like in Mike's photo, others with more structure/texture. Always they are made of a fungus & an algae working together (a fungus and an algae that "took a likin" to each other!)
Thanks, Mole! Just imagine walking along a path deep in the woods... then coming to this site, it was like a weird snow view from a distance... I got closer... went off the path... I thought to myself, "How do I photograph this beauty?" The composition above was the best "samples" I could do... but I will reshoot these scenes in about two weeks... it was just absolutely awesome... I know some people think the forest is just a lot of trees... but I just love being out in woods with all this beauty.

I going to the family cabin this weekend, there is spot of forest where it is so, so thick that the it is actually dark... I am trying to figure out how to photograph that, too. Looking forward to the weekend. Just lots of beauty out in the forest. Finns really know a lot about forestry, and take it serious. Well enough of my rambling. Thanks for your words.

Ned
Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:41 PM   #9

In response to lomitamike's post, it's hard to say if it's a true lichen or a moss from this distance. In Europe we get some dense lichens that are similar to a moss, but don't require the contact with rocks to grow. From a cursory glance at the photo's, it does seem consistent with forest lichens, but could at the same time be a moss. You would have to get an extreme macro shot of them to be able to identify which it was, but I am happy with Eetu's identification.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
In response to lomitamike's post, it's hard to say if it's a true lichen or a moss from this distance. In Europe we get some dense lichens that are similar to a moss, but don't require the contact with rocks to grow. From a cursory glance at the photo's, it does seem consistent with forest lichens, but could at the same time be a moss. You would have to get an extreme macro shot of them to be able to identify which it was, but I am happy with Eetu's identification.

Oi, mate... can't wait to go back and reshoot these photos... There was this THICK, THICK lichen everywhere. In addition, there was gobs of green moss... the blurry photos don't hold a candle to what I saw, but it was just beauty together with the trees and all... too cool.

Thanks.

Ned