Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:55 AM   #1

Default Power Kiting

I got a power kite a couple of years back and kinda forgot about it - but we went for a few days over to the west coast of Scotland again and i looked it out. WOW more fun than i ever imagined great thing, and when on the beach some other people had huge ones that dwarfed my 2.2 meter kite and were using them to kite board in the water damn that looked fun - once i've mastered mine you can bet i will be giving boarding a try!!! anyway after my armed were tired from the kite trying its best to pull my arms from their sockets i handed my kite over and took up my camera and started snapping

then later in the evening went out on my dads boat and found some seals on a rock offshore of the Isle of Kerrera near Oban - was not easy getting a sharp shot as the boat was rocking all over the place in the swell so at 500mm was struggling to just keep the seals in shot =) but got a few that came out ok'ish

Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:09 AM   #2

That looks really cool Paul ! Great shots ... but I have never seen Scottish skies so blue before, maybe a polariser in play there

THose are some wonderful shots of the seals, that last one is superb - even more so considering the swell !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:25 AM   #3

nope no polorisers - but did boost the saturation a bit in photoshop - but the sky was geniunely deep blue - it was a gorgeous day

the last beach shot though has had some heavy levels/saturation work on it since i wanted to have strong colours in that one
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:28 AM   #4

Great series, John! That seal sure does blend in well with the rocks.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 5:59 PM   #5

Excellent series, JP!
Looks like a great way to have fun while getting a workout!

Curious though, (I'm guessing that's your wife) what are the wrist bands all about? Is that some sort of safety device?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 6:16 PM   #6

the wrist bands are exactly what you guessed a safety device, if the kite gets away from you and you cant hold on to it and let go the string on the wrist strap pulls on the brake line of the kite and it will stall out and fall out of the sky

and nope not my wife its my elder sister - we all flocked to my dads yatch because of the nice weather - nearly the whole family was crammed on board =)
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Jun 21, 2010, 8:05 PM   #7

Thanks for the explanation JP. Looks to me like your sis has a pretty good idea of how to handle that kite.
I've never tried power kiting but, just knowing how it feels when I'm carrying a large sheet of plywood when the wind catches it, I can imagine how it could be quite a battle!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:05 PM   #8

Very cool series! I often see the big kites at a beach I sometimes go to - mostly with people using them with surfboards. Then there was the time I saw someone who was using one up in the air - looked more like paragliding but I suspect they started on the beach as there were no boats around.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 2:29 PM   #9

Fascinating - and great capture of the strength & concentration required.

Love those seal photos too!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2010, 2:31 PM   #10

Fascinating - and great capture of the strength & concentration required.

Love those seal photos too!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote