Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:08 PM   #1

Default Some GBH shots K-7 ISO 1600 Topaz Denoise 4

Hi All,

I was just walking in the door when I got a glimpse of a big blue wing out of the corner of my eye.

I didn't have a camera with me -- it was really dark (tornado warnings within an hour), and I was happy to get home before the storm started, but I went inside, grabbed the K-7, mounted the FA*300/4.5, and rushed outside.

The GBH had moved to a downed Weeping Willow in the lake, and was just swallowing a fish when I first spotted it. I missed that shot, but moved a little closer and got this one.

Stalked a little closer. . .

Pressed my luck and got a bit closer -- there was absolutely no cover, so moving slowly was the key -- the GBH never took its eye off me. . .

These might seem a little dark, but they're pretty close to actual. Big drops of rain started falling as the GBH took off and I scurried inside.

The first 2 were taken at ISO 1600, #3 at ISO 1100, and minimally processed with Topaz Denoise 4 and Focus Magic. I have virtually no qualms about shooting at these ISO settings now that I have such an effective NR program. I used to limit my K-7 shooting to 1250, and then only if I had to. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:37 AM   #2

Those are some amazingly sharp yet noise-free photos, especially considering the lighting and the ISO used. Great job as always!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:39 PM   #3

Well done, Scott!
don't ya just love it when a plan comes together?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:09 PM   #4

Very nice! The pictures are pretty impressive to begin with, and then to add in the processing - that's quite something.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:50 AM   #5

I tried twice to install the demo and got an error message (Contact Topaz) when I clicked the menu in Photoshop. Anyone else solve this.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 4:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Those are some amazingly sharp yet noise-free photos, especially considering the lighting and the ISO used. Great job as always!!
Hi mole,

Thanks!

The credit for the sharpness goes to the camera and lens, the credit for the noise goes to TN4 -- These were quick snaps as I knew that some heavy rain was coming very quickly. I just hoped to be able to get a few shots that came out okay. . . I will take a little credit for the stalking -- I've gotten pretty good at this over the past few years after many dismal attempts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Well done, Scott!
don't ya just love it when a plan comes together?
Hi GW,

Thanks!

Not much of a plan, but I was very pleased with the results. I've got quite a bit of confidence that TD4 will get the job done -- I don't need no stinking FF sensor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Very nice! The pictures are pretty impressive to begin with, and then to add in the processing - that's quite something.
Hi Harriet,

Thanks!

I'm using TD4 on just about everything -- even low ISO shots! Starting with a super clean image makes all the other PP steps much more effective, IMO. On these, I knew I didn't need full resolution, so I first downsized them by about 1/3 to shrink the original noise, then applied TD4 to get a super clean start. I then applied a very light application of Focus Magic (1 pixel blur width @ 75%) then resized them down using 2 more steps to get to posting size. By resizing down a bit right at the start I also reduced the time needed for TD4. This is truly a great plugin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
I tried twice to install the demo and got an error message (Contact Topaz) when I clicked the menu in Photoshop. Anyone else solve this.
Hi pboerger,

I had problems with TD 4.1 (the latest version). It crashed in XP and wouldn't install in Win 7, so I went back to v4.0 for both. If you google Topaz Denoise 4.0 I believe you can still download the original version. AFAIK, 4.1 is the only version on the Topaz Labs site.

Scott
Old Jun 25, 2010, 4:39 AM   #7

Cool shots,

never thought about using focus magic - just downloaded it, (not64bit - but I'll try)

Cheers

Ronny
Old Jun 25, 2010, 5:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Cool shots,

never thought about using focus magic - just downloaded it, (not64bit - but I'll try)
Hi Ronny,

I feel the secret to using this plugin is moderation. Try low pixel blur widths with 50-75% settings. Sometimes multiple applications are better than higher settings. Sometimes you need to downsize the image after sharpening to reduce sharpening artifacts. Starting with a very clean image really makes a difference, so a combination of TD4 and FM is about the best I've found so far.

The motion blur correction can be amazing, but it's a little hard to get a handle on this function. The secret is to set the angle indicator at right angles to the blur direction and use 50-75% settings, then increase the strength until you get the blurred parts of the image to coincide. I've found that with many images, different parts of the image need different amounts and angles of blur correction, so selecting specific areas and applying the motion blur correction is often the best way to go. Again, multiple applications sometimes works better than a single larger one.

These are two plugins that I consider essential for my PP work.

Scott
Old Jun 25, 2010, 7:14 PM   #9

I didn't have any trouble with either TL Denoise versions (4.0 or 4.1) on my Mac. Too bad Focus Magic is Windows only - I'd want to try it out but am unwilling to run parallels. I've been pretty happy with TL's Detail but it's not the same.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 1:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I didn't have any trouble with either TL Denoise versions (4.0 or 4.1) on my Mac. Too bad Focus Magic is Windows only - I'd want to try it out but am unwilling to run parallels. I've been pretty happy with TL's Detail but it's not the same.
Hi Harriet,

I've got Topaz Detail also. I like it as a one step enhancer for quite a few applications, but am so used to FM as my default sharpener that it's hard for me to switch. I definitely like Detail better than USM, which I understand roughly in principal, but have never really been comfortable with. FM is relatively unique in that it moves pixels with a deconvoluting algorithm, and it's always just worked for me. I can get some pretty amazing results with it after using it for years. . .

Scott