Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 25, 2010, 4:00 PM   #1

Default Pentax K-x test speed 1/60

I just received my Pentax K-x, and while I was waiting for it, I read in a forum that some of the K-x have problem taking pictures between 1/60 and 1/125. I try and here is an example I did last Wednesday. 100% crop.
Lens: 18-55mm Kit
F. length: 55mm
F. Number: f/8
Exposure time: 1/60 sec.
ISO: 200
Mode: manual

Attached Images

Zuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2010, 4:04 PM   #2

I have not heard that ... are you sure it is fact and not the opinion of someone who may have a faulty camera ?
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 4:11 PM   #3

Well I don't know, but there is a review in Newegg, that mentioned that and there are a couple forum talking about that, but as you can see on the picture there is no double image, and the camera was handheld SR Off.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 7:52 PM   #4

Hi Zuken,

I'm always leery about these weird faults that some people find. I'm much more inclined to think that there's some kind of user error involved, but the only way to keep these thoughts from becoming a self-fulfilling prophesy is to do your own tests and either return or send the body in for warranty repair, or just dismiss it as myth, depending on your personal results.

I believe that the fault is supposed to be with SR on, with shutter speeds between 1/60 and 1/125 where a supposed firmware glitch in the SR causes worse shake induced double imaging than shooting without SR. Various causes have bee cited, with mirror slap being one of the most common. The problem as I see it is that different people have different levels of ability when it comes to handheld shooting, and SR can only be relied on for the most commonly encountered range of frequency and intensity of camera shake oscillation. Some people are a lot more casual about holding a camera than I am, and many are a lot more competent. For me, I can count on SR to pretty reliably allow me about 2 stops of stabilization, which is good enough for me. If I need more, I'll find a tree to lean against or a fence to rest my elbows on. . . and even then I'll expect some camera shake problems, so I can only hope to get lucky on at least a couple of shots. The only instances where I think that SR hurt me was when using a very sturdy tripod with either the K20 or K-7 -- I never had a problem with SR when using a tripod with previous SR models. . .

I'd suggest you try shooting a bunch of shots in this shutter speed range, using a combination of aperture and ISO to keep the shutter speed constant -- just take junk shots, but take your time and shoot carefully, squeezing the shutter instead of punching it, and really try to have a pretty stable view in the VF. Try to use equivalent care in each of your shots, then take a look at them on your computer. Make sure that the "hand" icon appears in the VF before tripping the shutter.

If you see significant blur in all or most of the shots, try again, but this time use a more casual technique, quickly point and shoot, then see if the results are any better or worse. If all, or the majority of the shots using both techniques are blurred, then I'd repeat both tests with SR off. If you get better results, then I'd say that there's a chance that the camera's got a problem, but I'd have someone else repeat the tests, both with and without SR to make sure before I sent it in to Pentax.

Also make sure that you've installed the latest firmware version available before doing the test. . .

I don't think you'll have a problem, but good luck anyway. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:12 AM   #5

Thanks Scott and frogfish for your reply.

I had been shooting a lot of pictures, I also did a graduation, using different speed, Focal length, ISO and so far out of a 100 pictures I can say 20 bad (User error)(Me), total shoots around 1000 or a little more.

This is my first DSLR and I am getting custom to it. Or is the other way around.

Again thanks to all for you kind response

Armando
Old Jun 26, 2010, 1:17 AM   #6

I'm with Scott on this. I have experienced some equipment problems, one lens I sent in for warranty repair that was promptly replaced, and another lens I returned immediately to the store for a refund. My K10 had AF problems though it took me a year or more to figure out that it was the camera and not me so I won't completely dismiss reports of cameras having problems. It's just that I have other problems that were strictly my own errors. Unlike Scott, who's steady as a rock and can hand-hold long lenses at slower than normal shutter speeds, I'm not so steady and my shooting technique isn't always great. So I expect fewer sharp pictures than he probably gets - it's a really individual thing. But judging from the picture you posted, you aren't having any trouble at all.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:11 PM   #7

mtngal thanks for your reply.

I will agree. I cannot say that I have a problem that I don't see.

This is one of the largest Pentax forum or the largest, if that is a problem with the camera, for sure someone in the forum will confirm it, and been one of the most active forum, I can say that I am as happy as a boy with a new TOY. Yesterday I took more pictures at the pool, and I did like Scoot mentioned junk in all kind of setting, keeping the speed constant at 1/60, then 1/80....1/125 up to 1/200, and I can't see any issue.