Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 26, 2010, 4:27 AM   #1

Default Portrait exercise Jun 19

The lens used was FA135mm except the last 2 (Sigma 24-60mmF2.8). All done with no flash , one reflector and a smoke generator in an outing as organised by a local photo club.

Daniel, Toronto

Last edited by danielchtong; Jun 27, 2010 at 4:20 AM.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2010, 5:07 PM   #2

Great shots Daniel!

That first one is just stunning, the vibrancy of the background offset by the pure white of her dress is beautiful.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 9:38 PM   #3

Yes, the first and second from last are my favorites!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 4:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Yes, the first and second from last are my favorites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Great shots Daniel!

That first one is just stunning, the vibrancy of the background offset by the pure white of her dress is beautiful.
Thanks. It was the use of reflector - very cheap but pain to use without a helper - that brought out the vibrancy.

Daniel
Old Jun 27, 2010, 9:34 AM   #5

Really like the delicacy of the light in #2 and #4. Plenty of light, but nothing overpowering. Beautiful work.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 2:48 AM   #6

great series and a beautiful model.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:26 PM   #7

#1 is my fav. Great work. Not sure the smoke adds anything to the portraits though. Maybe the smoke would be better for something more closeup and more industrial type background.
shubonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:54 AM   #8

I can't really comment Daniel, other than to say something appeals to me or not, because portraiture (as opposed to 'street') isn't really my thing ... yet ! However now my daughter is back home here in Shanghai for a few weeks (taking a break from modeling in London) and we are looking forward to getting some shots of her in culturally attractive areas of the city....... so I'm studying your excellent work with great interest !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 3:36 AM   #9

Hmm... just going to be a bit critical here, cos Im expecting very high standards from u

1. Very good shot, love the colors, but the model should be a bit more visible...the background looks more vibrant than the model ?use a reflector? Also there is a hair strand going across her left cheek, which doesnt help much.

2. Good shot, but has opposite of first. Reflecter has cause model to be more bright, and in some places shiny? backround does not add to the beauty of the shot.

3. Nothing special sort of shot, ? unposed/natural? hair is also a bit messed up. Light to the face is not enough.

4. Would have preferred model looking at the camera.

5. Looks nice

6. A bit too much contrast.

7. ok shot, lighting a bit not enough.but i feel you could have set more nicer poses.

only the 1st and 2nd are up there for me, .... Pls remember I am being highly critical in my amateurish view. I may be wrong Im no pro ...
Chesslanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
However now my daughter is back home here in Shanghai for a few weeks (taking a break from modeling in London) and we are looking forward to getting some shots of her in culturally attractive areas of the city....... so I'm studying your excellent work with great interest !
Both of my daughters do not really enjoy being photographed by me at all. It is tough. Unfortunately she is far away from Toronto. Otherwise other Pentax forum members can render assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubonker View Post
#1 is my fav. Great work. Not sure the smoke adds anything to the portraits though. Maybe the smoke would be better for something more closeup and more industrial type background.
The camera group (us) was fooling around with it. Not quite successful I have to say. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
great series and a beautiful model.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Really like the delicacy of the light in #2 and #4. Plenty of light, but nothing overpowering. Beautiful work.

Paul
Paul,
That was done outdoor and 8 of us have fun indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesslanka View Post
Hmm... just going to be a bit critical here, cos Im expecting very high standards from u

1. Very good shot, love the colors, but the model should be a bit more visible...the background looks more vibrant than the model ?use a reflector? Also there is a hair strand going across her left cheek, which doesnt help much.

2. Good shot, but has opposite of first. Reflecter has cause model to be more bright, and in some places shiny? backround does not add to the beauty of the shot.

3. Nothing special sort of shot, ? unposed/natural? hair is also a bit messed up. Light to the face is not enough.

4. Would have preferred model looking at the camera.

5. Looks nice

6. A bit too much contrast.

7. ok shot, lighting a bit not enough.but i feel you could have set more nicer poses.

only the 1st and 2nd are up there for me, .... Pls remember I am being highly critical in my amateurish view. I may be wrong Im no pro ...
You are more than welcome to be commenting more in depth and I agree all the points you have made. Thanks. I am no pro either. 8 of us spent $25 /person for the event as organized by a Toronto camera group. We interacted of course (translation: nobody knew much) in directing the pose and set up. Sometimes I did quite well judging by the number of response/feedback which helps a lot.

Daniel, Toronto