Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 26, 2010, 5:20 PM   #1

Default Spider vs Weevil and a weird bug

Been busy with work lately, so not been either able or willing to use the camera, so thought I would share what little I have taken since... I dunno... whenever the last bug photo's I posted...

First off found this curious chap, when I say he was aggressive, that would be the understatement of the decade, he wasn't pulling his punches, pounced on the ringflash, sizing up the camera, and definitely thought he could have me.

No idea what it is, from a distance I thought it was a grasshopper or a catydid, then thought it might be some sort of wasp, and now have no idea what it exactly is.

Just before he pounced the first time

Sizing me up before the final attack

Couldn't get many shots as he was really agitated and didn't appreciate the attention.

Lastly shots I took not 2 hours ago. Was in the garden earlier and spotted a weevil walking along my conservatory wall, thought it might be fun to shoot, but noticed he was trying to clean off some web. Figuring he had just recovered from a close encounter with a spider I went back inside for another hour or so. When I came back, I was bearing witness to the savagery and determination of the spider who's web he must have disturbed earlier. The spider couldn't find a weak spot in which to inject his venom, but he was determined he would secure his prey so he could spend his time working around the armour. I sat there for maybe 10 minutes watching this poor weevil struggling with the spider crawling all over him before I grabbed the camera and managed to get a few shots before the spider hauled the weevil up to his lair.

Upon closer inspection of my conservatory wall, I found the remains of dozens of flies and woodlice, but no other spiders. This spider seems to be a most efficient and voracious individual.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2010, 9:20 PM   #2

I don't know what the first one is either but, your story got me laughing.
I can just picture the battle you had on your hands... or should I say camera!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 1:06 AM   #3

Nice shot of that interesting 'curious little chap' - no idea what it is though !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 4:44 AM   #4

Right someone told me what it is, it's a Sawfly - Rhogogaster sp.

Went back to the scene of the battle this morning and saw that the spider had found a novel way around the weevil's defenses:

If you can't find a way around all that armor, just go up his nose! Sorry arachnophobics!

Also found my little buddy the jumping spider again, he was off on the prowl looking for some breakfast. Eventually he found a small red mite and stopped long enough for me to take a photo.

Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:26 AM   #5

Love your followup photos Ash!
I saw my first jumping spider in a long time Friday, and I didn't have my camera handy!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:37 AM   #6

Thanks GW!

I have the same luck whenever there's a dragonfly around. When I got for my walk they are never to be found, and later on when I go for a smoke break, there's loads of them flying around the office car park.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 1:06 PM   #7

Perseverance pays - interesting series. Everything has a chink in its armor somewhere - it is just a matter of finding it. Well done.

BTW, Sawflies, despite their name aren't really flies, but stingless wasps (so you were safe from attack). Interestingly enough, they have caterpillar like larvae that are often confused with true caterpillars.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 5:16 PM   #8

Thanks Pen!

Yeah when I went back a few hours later he found the... other... chink in the weevil's armour.... suffice to say I declined to take a photo of that part of the story... dude surely there's enough food on that weevil not to go there...

Yeah read up on the saw flies after someone identified it for me, pretty interesting bugs, but the fact they are largely herbivores belies their aggression.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 2:46 AM   #9

Great series, those spider weevil shots are ready for a nature documentary.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:28 AM   #10

Thanks Ronny!

Bonus high contrast edit, wondering if people prefer this to the original: