Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 27, 2010, 1:51 PM   #1

Default Garden Lily with Forest Background

Not sure if there is anything more I can do with this... You will notice that that there is a lot of cropping compared to the originalI have to learn how to get rid of the bottom flower... Otherwise, I hope this ok.

Ned

Original photo:

Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2010, 5:33 PM   #2

I like this one a lot, Ned.
I'm not the best when it comes to cropping out the best composition from a shot but, I think this really works. The bottom flower doesn't bother me at all.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 5:55 PM   #3

Thanks! Appreciate your words... If you don't me admiring the Pentax's abilities too much, I think that cutting a photo in half and cropping from that a single lily, THIS still looks quite sharp. I was lying down on my back, with the forest in the background. I simply had a lot of fun shooting, and that is the main thing. Really enjoy this Pentax K-7
Old Jun 27, 2010, 5:57 PM   #4

Ned, Is this what you had in mind?
I like it but don't know that its any better than it was.
like I said, I liked your crop but, perhaps others will give there opinion on which they prefer.

Old Jun 27, 2010, 6:03 PM   #5

LOL, looks like you replied while I was posting the edit.

I wonder if people that see us photographers taking some of our shots, think we're just plain nuts!

Old Jun 27, 2010, 6:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
LOL, looks like you replied while I was posting the edit.

I wonder if people that see us photographers taking some of our shots, think we're just plain nuts!
Wow, so how did you do that... and in such short time. Yes, that is what I had in mind... but being a typical First-born perfectionist, I don't know which is better... some say I shouldn't take it out... This is why I am glad when other chime in who know something about composition that I can learn from.

Many, many thanks for taking the time to help! It is appreciated.

Ned
Old Jun 27, 2010, 6:19 PM   #7

I really like your crop, and think that GW's edit, cloning out the bud in the background works really well.

Cloning isn't difficult - choose the clone tool, click on something that you want to copy then paint it where you do want it. It can be time-consuming and frustrating at times, especially where there's straight lines, but it's not difficult. Try it on something you don't care about, it's fun.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 6:45 PM   #8

I must admit I am a "first time perfectionist", I don't like cloning (other than dust) but GW's version certainly looks good. If you were going to edit it though I would have removed the flowers immediately underneath the flower in focus.
Attached Images

Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:05 PM   #9

No problem Ned,
Like Harriet said, it doesn't take too much time on something fairly simple like this shot. When I do edits like this, I use the "Layers" pallet menu to make a duplicate layer and use that to make all my edits on, That way if I mess up I can go back to the original layer. There are several ways to get the final results as I did here, but you learn to use what seems simplest to use for you. What I did on your shot was
(on the copied layer) use the "quick selection tool" select just the part I wanted eliminate, that puts a dotted line around the selected portion and any edit you make will only affect that portion. Then I chose the "eye dropper tool" and click on a portion of the background that matches what I want, (that automatically matches the color for you) then chose the "paint bucket tool" and click on the yellow flower I want to paint out of the photo. That will cover most of the yellow. then I "deselect" so I now have the whole image showing without any dotted line.
Then using the
"magnify" tool" I zoom in to the area I want to concentrate on so it fills the screen. Then I use various brushes to touch up where it needs it. Learning the different brushes and how to size them and make them do what you want just takes time and practice. It really isn't hard once you learn them and the way I did it was to just jump in and start experimenting to see what what does what. You'll be surprised to find once you figure out the basics, then the more advanced edits become easier and easier as you try things and start to retain what you discover. It gets more exciting every time I learn something else!
Just dig in and have fun.

OH, after I get the edit I want I save it with a different name so I still have the original in case I need it.
Cheers,

Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:10 PM   #10

Yeah, I thought of that too Ash. But, I kind of like the OOF flower in the background, sort of gives a bit of something I can't quite put my finger on but, that's just my opinion.