Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 2, 2010, 5:20 AM   #1

Default Shanghai World Expo - Street Shots

My second trip to the World Expo being held here. Vast numbers of people (they are expecting ca. 70 million visitors over the 6 months of the Expo) mean massive queues to enter the actual pavilions however personally I have as much fun people watching, looking at the pavilions from the outside and watching some of the shows. I'll only enter the various countries' pavilions when the queues reduce to just a few minutes wait ! It was very hot yesterday though (hitting 38C ... and 41C today) so people were flaked out everywhere and taking advantage of any shade they could find.

The focus on the girl with the fan is slightly off but I loved this shot - she was fanning her father - so I posted it anyway. Hope you enjoy.
Attached Images

Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2010, 8:31 PM   #2

Very nice set, the last one is interesting , they look quite intense. I can see why you like one of the girl fanning her father, when it's reduced down to this size you don't really notice the focus being slightly off.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 11:01 AM   #3

nice set, really like your last shot and especially the title going with it.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 1:02 AM   #4

Thank you Harriet & Ronny.

Those two guys were studying a map of Shanghai and I was sitting opposite packing up my kit after a day's shooting at the Expo. I had the 43 Ltd on the camera so IMO it was the ideal lens for this shot - no flash !
Old Jul 4, 2010, 7:13 PM   #5

I keep typing out replies to post and apparently forget to hit the "post" button!
seems to be happening more a more lately... I think I'm loosing it... sorry guys, before long it will be nothing but senseless babble.
Anyway, what I thought I posted yesterday was, Good job, Kev! I really enjoyed these.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 10:23 PM   #6

thanks for sharing! i also especially like the last picture. their expressions are perfect!
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:51 AM   #7

I know the feeling exactly GW ! Glad you enjoyed them.

Thank you Vole - they were so engrossed in studying the map they didn't spot me taking the shot from just 2 yds away.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:42 AM   #8

I wish I was bold enough to try street photography.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, FA 80-320mm f4.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Jul 5, 2010, 5:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
My second trip to the World Expo being held here. Vast numbers of people (they are expecting ca. 70 million visitors over the 6 months of the Expo) mean massive queues to enter the actual pavilions however personally I have as much fun people watching, looking at the pavilions from the outside and watching some of the shows. I'll only enter the various countries' pavilions when the queues reduce to just a few minutes wait ! It was very hot yesterday though (hitting 38C ... and 41C today) so people were flaked out everywhere and taking advantage of any shade they could find.

The focus on the girl with the fan is slightly off but I loved this shot - she was fanning her father - so I posted it anyway. Hope you enjoy.
Thanks for sharing the street images of Shanghai. I did not stay long enough before I left China in mid April. Expo started in May.
About the heat there I want say something. 38 - 41 does not sound much but the actual feel temperature (not announced in China) should be around 48 -52 degree C . That is suffocatingly unhealthy to stay long at all in mid day.
In Canada we have the humidex and Toronto topped 33 with humidex at 41.
I believe they have some very interesting structures in Expo. Hope you can share with us when you have a chance

Daniel
Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:17 PM   #10

Wonderful captures of the varied expressions and movements - a fascinating sampler!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote