Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 27, 2010, 4:38 PM   #41

Default Battlefield humor

US Army Cessna O1-E "Bird dog" at the Lyon Air Museum. Look closely behind the prop.

Pentax K7 and Sigma 10-20mm, hand held in existing light. Tough backlighting - bracketed +/- 0.7 stops; stacked exposures processed through HDRrtist and PSE6.
Attached Images

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:41 PM   #42

Never understood the ground camo colors on planes during WWII era.. is this so the attacking planes that end up behind have trouble distinguishing them from ground?
Or just to keep the standard green/brown military look?

You would think camo on a plane would be more efficient with shades of blues?

Nice pics btw everyone!
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:03 PM   #43

Quote:
You would think camo on a plane would be more efficient with shades of blues?
Not when they are sitting on the ground or flying slow and low (as these did), when they need protection from above. This unarmed plane is post-WWII (Korea and Vietnam), after the military had already abandoned camo paint schemes for other combat planes (except helicopters, for the same reason) and ships.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:08 PM   #44

Well here we are at the end of the month and I just havn't had a chance to get the shot I wanted to so, I'm going with this one...
3 Wheel peddle power

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Jul 27, 2010 at 9:12 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:48 PM   #45

nice shot goldwinger, thanks for the background penolta!
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 8:19 AM   #46

Great shot of a great little airplane, Pen!
My only complaint with this plane is that its a tail drag-er. I never could get the hang of flying one of those!
The Cessna 172 Skyhawk is more to my liking.

One of a long line of civilian light planes converted to military use (like the Taylor, Piper, and Stinson "Grasshoppers" of World War II fame), the Cessna L-19 "Bird Dog" observation and Forward Air Control aircraft traced its origins to the Cessna 170, a 4-place civilian light plane, with its military power upgraded from 145 to 213hp.
Structurally, the military version differed significantly from its civilian progenitor, with the passenger capacity reduced by two, the aft superstructure radically revised to provide a clear view rearward, and transparent panel being inserted in the wing above the seats. The access door was made wider to accommodate a standard military stretcher, for which support brackets were installed. The L-19 was judged to be much better in terms of performance on takeoff and climb than its world War II predecessors, as well as more comfortable for the pilot and observer.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:48 AM   #47

penolta - that's a very nice shot of the bird dog. I see the dog has a bone, too, that has to be removed before flight? Is that to keep the dog hungry and more keen to hunt? A neat picture in any case.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:34 PM   #48

Thanks for the comments, NMR, GW and Harriet..

GW, the L-19 was redesignated O-1 in 1962.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
penolta - that's a very nice shot of the bird dog. I see the dog has a bone, too, that has to be removed before flight? Is that to keep the dog hungry and more keen to hunt? A neat picture in any case.
LOL - Harriet, all the warbirds in this museum are flyable. A number of these reminder tags were on other aircraft too, probably attached to various safety devices that have to be disabled or removed before flight. The pet store Nylabone was obviously put in the bird dog's "mouth" as an attempt at humor.

Last edited by penolta; Aug 1, 2010 at 3:10 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 4:49 AM   #49

Hey all,
I've got way too many shots and can't really decide, probably/hopefully I am able to snap the image I really wanted to show here today, but if not I want at least add an entry.

I go with this 2000 years old oaken logboat, which I saw yesterday at a museum tour. A very basic and primal transportation device, which is still being used in certain parts of the world. 2000 years! I mean - the same kind of device was used way earlier and you only need a few tools to build it etc... Well, that longevity is the reason why I post it here, rather than an eye-popping sports car or the like I bet this would still swim and "work" to some extend.

Hope you like it - lighting wasn't really good and it wasn't too easy to get a full view without people in the way.

regards,
Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:34 PM   #50

According to my clock, there are 27 minutes remaining in the month, CDT, so I still have time to refine my entry. I got to looking at the message I was trying to get through with my photo....the lack of change in the mode in which pineapples are picked and transported to market..... and it occurred to me that the photo would probably be better in a monotone, specifically sepia....so I'm changing my entry.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote