Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:08 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Dateline: Sri Lanka, July 2010 (6 images)

Returned recently from a 2 week trip to Sri Lanka and wanted to share some images of the north east coast where we spent a glorious week.

These images are dedicated to our fellow Pentaxian and forum member Chesslanka. CL and I tried to get together, but due to our schedules, only ended up speaking by phone. Anyhow, if you are in the area, you should visit the coastal town of Trincomalee to experience the beauty of the the area and Indian Ocean. I'll post more of other aspects of our travels in a separate thread.

K10D + DA 18-250mm (my favorite travel lens).

Upuveli Beach at the resort at which we stayed. Turquoise water, and a quiet and desolate sandy beach--ideal for total R&R!

View from my perch

Woke up early one morning to photograph the Sunrise

Nearby Nilaveli Beach. The specks in the top of the picture are actually a swarm of dragonflies (it was about 2 hours from dusk).

Beach debris (coconut)

And finally the perfect spot to enjoy the view...

Last edited by Wingman; Jul 10, 2010 at 11:26 AM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:13 PM   #2

Thanks for the tours, I am trying to decide on where to go for Dec. Sri Lanka can to mine along with Bali.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 1:04 AM   #3

Very nice Jelpee - enjoyed seeing those and look forward to more from your travels.

Shoturtle - if you are heading in that direction then you should also consider Phuket (our home away from home) and Borneo, both have spectacular beaches and more than enough to keep you entertained for a couple of weeks at least. Phuket has fabulous restaurants and once you are there it's a cheap place to stay (hire an apartment and a small car - don't use expensive hotels, oh and to tell a secret : the rainy season is the best time to go), Borneo has beaches and rain-forests for the best of both worlds !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 1:13 AM   #4

been to phuket, khao lak, krabi, an nang, chaing mai, koh lanta, koh phi phi, bangkok and couple of other places. In the past 2 years I spent 5.5 weeks in thailand. I did not like phuket as much. Way to busy. I always rent a car and explore best way to see everything. But I am spoil, I always go to the high end hotel. I love getting spoil. The sofitel in Krabi is insane, and the La Meridian in Khao Lak is fabulous

Last edited by shoturtle; Jul 10, 2010 at 9:13 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 1:32 AM   #5

Oh you have been to some great locations, we always stay in apartments, usually in the North of Phuket away from the hubbub but within easy reach of Phang Nga, we rent an 1,800 sq ft, 3 beds apt with a 300 sq ft terrace and a 60m pool & jacuzzi just 10 yds from the terrace - at a 1/4 the price of 5 star hotel. We love all of Thailand but as a family Phuket is a great destination with so much for children to do. I guess we are off big hotels having lived in a Le Meridien for 5 years they don't do anything for us any more.

I think you would love Borneo - some wonderful diving there too.

Last edited by Frogfish; Jul 10, 2010 at 1:34 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 4:16 AM   #6

Great views, the first and the beach debris are my fav.

Cheers

Ronny
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:39 AM   #7

Hi Jelpee , Im really sad we couldnt get to meet, But I was so busy with this new job . If you had come a month earlier we would have got many chances

I see that you captured some very nice snapshots, which shows that you had a fun trip!!!

Love all the shots and its nice to see the beautiful beaches of some places that even I havent been to yet
Chesslanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:05 AM   #8

Jehan, These are beautiful. I will use these with my meditation as a place to picture myself. One of the mediations I've been doing has beach waves as the background. This will be perfect.

Looks like you picked a great place to spend two weeks.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 4:18 PM   #9

Hi Jay

Looks like a great place to visit. My favorite Shots are the Sunrise and beach debris. You know, i envy anyone that gets up that early to photograph the sunrise. I have wanted to do it on all our cruises and just could not drag myself out of bed early enough!!

Phil

Last edited by Black Knight; Jul 10, 2010 at 4:21 PM.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:57 PM   #10

Wonderful shots! Another friend of mine went to Sri Lanka on vacation and loved it, so you are the second person I know who have highly recommended it. It looks like a wonderful spot - I could sure enjoy spending a few hours on that beach.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote