Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:02 AM   #1

Default Bought a K-x today, got home and ended up having the luckiest day ever

So I finally bit the bullet tonight and bought a Pentax K-x. I was just out browsing cameras and discovered the camera at a local chain here in Denver on sale for $499. To top it off, they had an open box one that was another 50 bucks off, so got the camera for $450 plus tax...

I debated getting a 50-200 lens for it but figured I would check the web first. So I get home, and pull out my old Ricoh film camera that was basically a hand-me-down for my father, take the lens off that I'm thinking is Nikon compatible for some reason... I google it, it's a Rikenon P 3.9 50-210, and wouldn't you know it, it's a Pentax K-mount! It's full manual, but the glass on it is in great shap, I shot with it for years while I was in the Navy, and changing the camera over to use it is a cinch!

I'll have to get some pics off the camera up soon.
wffwii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:09 AM   #2

Congrats on your purchase - I think you have a great camera there (never mind as well as a bargain) !

Wonderful stroke of luck with the Rikenon, I have seen some very nice shots from Rik lenses but can't remember which ones. Looking forward to seeing yours.

This is an excellent site for tips on everything from what lenses to buy & friendly photo critique to technique and tips on your new camera. Welcome !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:17 AM   #3

go with the 55-300 it is a better lens then the 55-200
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:21 AM   #4

I'm always up for a better lens, but right now the one that I didn't have to shell out money for is the best one. Thanks for the tip though.
wffwii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:22 AM   #5

I would use the manual focus lens for now, but if you want a AF lens down the line the 55-300mm is a better lens, very sharp on the long end.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:17 PM   #6

Enjoy the Rikenon and take lots of pictures with it. I still occasionally use some of my old manual lenses, they were my main-stay when I first got a dSLR. Manual focus takes a bit of practice at first so play with it for a while to get used to it. You are probably better off with the old lens than the 50-200 - mine wasn't very good and it broke, replaced by the much better 55-300. So your decision to skip it was the right one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:22 PM   #7

Welcome Wffwii,to the best Pentax forum on the net!
Congratulations on your new combo. You mad a good choice skipping the 50-200.
But, when you do decide to go for a new lens the DA 55-300mm is tops for money.
Now lets see some photos.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 5:42 AM   #8

be careful with lenses like that - i'm not sure if its one of the problem lenses or not but some ricoh fit lenses have a locking pin that jams on pentax k-mount cameras and you cant get them off again at least not without alot of effort - some people dont have any trouble others its a pain - jsut something to be careful with when using lenses that aren't geniune k mount

sure someone here can provide a link about specifically which lenses it is you have to watch out for though
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 3:31 PM   #9

You are right John now you mention it I remember that too .... it was easy to remedy though, I remember the advice given was to just unscrew the ring covering the pin and it's easy to extract, problem solved.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 4:13 PM   #10

If the Ricoh is truly a fully manual lens, it doesn't have a pin; only "automatic" lenses have a diaphragm actuating pin. This is true of all old manual lenses, not only Ricoh. I have one Rikenon P lens in my closet, and it does have an actuating pin - the P setting is the same as the A on Pentax lenses. The pin is spring loaded, so be sure to take it off the P setting before attempting to remove it and the pin should retract more easily then it would on the P setting. You can run your fingernail over it in each position and see if it happens. If your fingernail catches and does not depress the pin, you might need to remove it or (being careful to avoid getting filings inside the lens) you could file or grind it down - it does not protrude very far. On old Pentax lenses, the pin retracts when the A position is off; Tokina lenses did the same, but Sigma lenses did not - they were soft brass pins and wore down to the point that they lost contact.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote