Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 10, 2010, 6:50 PM   #1

Default Geneseo Air Show

We went to the 1941 Historical Aircraft Group Air Show today in Geneseo, NY. Great time and get to see a lot of vintage aircraft. It's dubbed the greatest show on turf since the airport has a grass runway. Was a very enjoyable day and got some good photos.

Here is the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress "Memphis Belle", yes, the same one that was used for the movie of the same name.

One of 4 P-51 Mustangs at the show.

Canadian Harvards Aerobatic Act

A very rare Westland Lysander:

And a special demo by the USAF Viper West F-16.

You can view the rest of my gallery here: Geneseo Air Show

Last edited by MadMikeSS; Jul 10, 2010 at 6:54 PM.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2010, 6:52 PM   #2

Sorry, looks like something is up with wacky filters on this forum. I don't know why it would replace part of G E N E S E O with stars....
Old Jul 10, 2010, 7:39 PM   #3

There was another harmless word that the software used to do something with - can't remember what it was now.

But regardless of the stars, the pictures are awesome! That F16 picture is incredible, and I love the vintage aircraft. You had a great day.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:44 PM   #4

You had a great day of shooting, Mike!
Nice job.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:13 AM   #5

Cool shots - I always love to see air show series and these are very sharp & caught the props perfectly. Good job !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 6:53 AM   #6
Administrator

Sorry guys. We had spammers promoting seo dot com at one point (a company providing search engine optimization services), and I had a filter setup for seo to discourage repeat spam (as banned members will often rejoin under a new member name and do the same thing again).

Search engine optimization/marketing companies are responsible for a lot of spam in forums (as posting links in forums is one way to improve search engine rankings)

I've modified the filter to require the inclusion of .com before it filters seo

JimC
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 7:08 AM   #7

Thanks Jim, the filter had me a little baffled. I appreciate the modification.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 8:11 AM   #8
Administrator

Keeping spam out of the forums is a never ending battle (it's not uncommon for me to delete dozens of spam posts per day, and Mark1616 deletes a lot, too).

Since spammers will often rejoin under a new member name after they're banned, I will sometimes filter out the company names they're trying to promote to try and deter repeat spam. That way, nobody (not even a satisfied customer) can post links to the company being promoted.

If it's a major photography related business and they appear to be reputable, I will sometimes send them a friendly note suggesting they check with their marketing staff and ask if they've hired a marketing firm, since legitimate businesses are often unaware of the tactics being used by the companies they've hired (promoting their clients via posts in forums, with the posts often made by software designed to post to hundreds of forums at a time). xRumer is one example of the type of software being used, and the IP addresses that the posts are coming from are usually in different parts of the world compared to the locations of the companies being promoted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XRumer.

We're also submitting spam posts to anti-spam services now. So, when businesses use these so called marketing companies to try and improve search engine rankings, it may prevent posts about their companies from getting through the anti-spam services being used by many sites, even if satisfied customers are the ones making the posts.

We do not appreciate spam here, and I think you'll find that more and more forums and blogs allowing comments are starting to fight back with more sophisticated anti-spam services like Akismet and TypePad Anti-Spam Beta (which we recently integrated into our forums software to help screen for spam).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:44 AM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

These are excellent images Mike. Very good compositions. Here's what I like:
#1: Nice detail in the close up.
#2: Fantastic job in panning
#3: The arc from the smoke trails really makes this one special
#4: Love the prop blur
#5: Nice vapor rush on the F-16

I've been doing a lot of aviation photography this year and have had some success in getting images accepted into airliners.net.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2010, 4:31 PM   #10

I looked at your gallery - nice stuff. I didn't know that there were any Helldivers still flying.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote