Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:16 PM   #1

Default My young Philipino Friend

One of the first shots in my new studio.

Studio needs lots of work but not as much as much shooting skills.
Attached Images

EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:22 PM   #2

Depending on who/what the pic is for, you may/may not want/need to erase that foot tattoo. And looking at the pic, if she hadn't twisted her body so much and compensated by turning her head a lot too, her right cheek/jaw wouldn't look odd.

Nice lighting.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:00 AM   #3

Hello... It's not "Philipino," it's "Filipino." For a female it's "Filipina." Filipinos pronounce "F" as "P" since there is no "F" in the Philippine alphabet.
jollyruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyruss View Post
Hello... It's not "Philipino," it's "Filipino." For a female it's "Filipina." Filipinos pronounce "F" as "P" since there is no "F" in the Philippine alphabet.
Noted, thank you.

and, your critque on the photo is noted as well.

Last edited by EddyinGA; Jul 15, 2010 at 9:42 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 3:30 PM   #5

Nice friend, don't know anything about studio photography so can't say anything else usefull.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:10 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I would love to have a permanent studio space, never mind.

The main thing for me is this looks very wide which has distorted her too much for my taste. It is pointing us too much down onto her feet and isn't looking totally natural with the back leg looking a lot shorter than the front. If you have the space, step back and use a longer focal length. On a crop body often 50mm is a good starting point. Sure there are times to go shorter and times to go very long, but if you are looking to improve try a bit longer...... any play around, enjoy yourself, that's the beauty of digital.

Hope to see more from the studio.... what setup do you have there btw?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:17 PM   #7

Hey Eddy,
As I've mentioned before, I'm no studio photographer but, (always that but)
I'm wondering if a little softer lighting on her face might help reduce the little bit of glare on her cheek? Another thought that just came to me ... what about a fan blowing her hair? I think you could have some fun with that. Just a thought.
I think your model is is cute, and looks like she'd be fun to work with.
Keep up the good work!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I would love to have a permanent studio space, never mind.

The main thing for me is this looks very wide which has distorted her too much for my taste. It is pointing us too much down onto her feet and isn't looking totally natural with the back leg looking a lot shorter than the front. If you have the space, step back and use a longer focal length. On a crop body often 50mm is a good starting point. Sure there are times to go shorter and times to go very long, but if you are looking to improve try a bit longer...... any play around, enjoy yourself, that's the beauty of digital.

Hope to see more from the studio.... what setup do you have there btw?
Of course you would. That's why I got one.

I gave some thought after the actual shoot that I might have moved back a little farther from her and changed the perspective. The pose is good but it would have not looked like I was shooting down on here.

My overall "small' studio is 18' x 26'. the usuable space is about 12' x 18'(maybe), so I don't have a lot of room with which to work.

This was the first shoot that I've done in this studio since I set it up and I really didn't utilize all of the equipment that I could have.

I use two Promaster 300w/s strobes with 24x36 softboxes. I have a reflector, snoot, grids, barn doors and an assortment of umbrellas with which to work but didn't take the time to put all of it into play. I had some time constraints with the young lady and there was no real pre-planning for the session.

I also, at this time, have a limited number of props that can be used. That, of course, will change as time goes on.

Other than posing for snapshots, the young woman have never been in front of a camera, much less in a studio, and she was quite nervous and stiff.

All in all, the session was good and future shoots should be more productive.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Hey Eddy,
As I've mentioned before, I'm no studio photographer but, (always that but)
I'm wondering if a little softer lighting on her face might help reduce the little bit of glare on her cheek? Another thought that just came to me ... what about a fan blowing her hair? I think you could have some fun with that. Just a thought.
I think your model is is cute, and looks like she'd be fun to work with.
Keep up the good work!
Yes, she was fun to work with. I plan to do another session with her later and your idea for the fan blowing her hair (she does have a lot of that) is a good one.

Glad you enjoyed.