Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:58 AM   #1

Default Dragonflies :D

Well, today's pictures is dragonflies....i am actually quite happy with these pics, except that I wanted to take them from "the front side"

CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:31 PM   #2

First let me add my welcome. Exposure-wise you are getting the hang of it, but I have a few suggestions.

#1, as you say, would have been better from the side, but with these insects, you take what you can get. The problem with this photo is insufficient depth of field, which is shallow in close-ups. With the 55-300 you can back off and use the longest focal length, as DOF increases with distance; a sharp object small in the field can often be enlarged with better results than one that is too close and fills the field.

#2 suffers from an inappropriate background. If you choose to make an image under those conditions, you would be better off with less of an exposure and doctoring the photo in postprocessing. You might want to pick up a copy of Photoshop Elements, a much less expensive, but very capable alternative to Photoshop - for this photo it has brightness/contrast and shadow/highlight tools that could improve this one somewhat.

#3 is a killer shot, because of the lack of blur and the wing position that you were fortunate enough to catch. I say this because you have captured the difference in the way Dragonfly wings operate versus other insects. Most insects with four wings beat their wings in unison, but Dragonflies and (other similarly primitive insects) beat their wings alternately, the fore and hind wings moving in opposite directions. This is because Dragonflies have "direct flight" with muscles attached directly to the wings, while more advanced insects have their flight muscles attached to the body wall and must warp the skeleton up and down - the popping noise that results is the buzzing that you hear. The sounds made by dragonflies are from the small winds geneated by their wing movements. Call it beginner's luck, but it is a great shot.

Last edited by penolta; Jul 18, 2010 at 12:23 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 3:19 PM   #3

You are definitely figuring out the camera, they are all much better than your first series. I like the first one in spite of the lack of depth of field (which is a problem as penolta pointed out).

And the third one is very cool! I never knew all that penolta posted about dragonflies and how they fly - one of the neat things about this particular board is that you learn new, unexpected things every day. So thanks to both of you for giving me new information today.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 3:29 PM   #4

thanks both of you for your kind words and Penolta, wow, your knowledge about dragonflies is beyond me

I am beginnig to understand the camera, but I still have a lot to learn about the composition of a scene..
Old Jul 16, 2010, 4:03 PM   #5

I agree on all the above points. so, nothing to add except, hang in there and keep taking lots of photos, the film is free!
Keep up the good work.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 5:32 PM   #6

Great start, almost everything has been said except. Next time when you try to get a picture and you haven't gotten the angle you want, and it flies away just don't move.
9 out of 10 they'll return to the same spot or real close to that spot.

Sometimes closer to you than you expect.

The first one a "ruby darter" isn't fast disturbed and will most of the time return of land close by.

The second one, a male of black lined skimmer, is a bit more skittish but ... they are really territorial and will search a place where they can see their territory and return almost always to that spot. Find the spot and you can get a lot closer than you think.

The last one ... I don't know but it's a great shot.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:12 AM   #7

Showing great improvement already Tom ... and that last shot is great !

Penolta - thank you for the dragonfly lesson, I love learning these interesting facts.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 6:18 AM   #8

thanks once again ...

and wow, I am learning alot about dragonflies

well, will post some pictures from yesterday / this night...were out with my family camping in the caravan, and all hell broke loose regarding the weather, but that is another thread...