Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:14 PM   #1

Default Great Barrier Reef

I have many pictures I would like to share with you of our Australia & New Zealand trip. I have put them all in Zenfolio but have not yet determined the best way to link you to them. So rather than keep you waiting I thought I would begin by giving you a sample of my better shots from each area and some light description of our experience.

I’ll begin with the pictures from the Great Barrier Reef. The underwater shots were taken from a moving semi submersible. They were all taken with available light and luck was with me that the sun was in and out but at times penetrated deep enough to get a few pictures.

The submersible was noisy and fish were not as abundant as I thought they would be, but I snapped what I could.

All underwater shots were taken with K-7 and Tamron 18-250. Above it was the Sigma 10-20. The submersible vibrated and I found that I had to hold the camera close to but not on the glass in order to take these pictures.

Quicksilver the jet powered Wavepiercer catamaran that took us out to the reef. Trip took 1 1/2 hours at a speed of 30 Knots to go from Port Douglas to the Reef.

Kicked up quite a wake on the Coral Sea.

Two picture panorama. I shot two frames while the submersible moved and stitched them.

I hope you have enjoyed this visit to the reef with me. Your comments and critiques are welcome.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:23 PM   #2

Great job, Lou. I can't wait to see more of them. That boat looks supercool.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:37 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Wow..fantastic imaeges from underwater. The coral looks very pretty, but the ones of the turtle are my favorite. Thanks for the underwater tour!!!

How far down did the sub go? The available light looks plentiful. Any sharks?

I almost took a scuba diving lesson when in Sri Lanka but chickened out at the last minute. Went snorkelling and enjoyed the reef from the surface.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 9:03 PM   #4

Quote:
So rather than keep you waiting I thought I would begin by giving you a sample of my better shots from each area and some light description of our experience.
Sounds like a plan - keep them coming, you are off to a great start with this sequence.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 4:34 PM   #5

Great series, and as pen said, keep them coming
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:11 PM   #6

I agree, Lou. keep them coming.
Looks like you had a great trip.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:11 PM   #7

Paul, Penaolta, Ronnie and GW - More will be on the way.

Jelpee - The semi submersable did not go down. We went down into the semi submersable that had windows you could see out of.

"A semi submarine is a small submersible marine vessel that is built with the majority of its buoyant structure below the surface of the water and small area that sits above the surface.

Unlike a submarine, a semi submersible vessel is never completely underwater. Because the hull structure is submerged, it is less affected by waves then a normal boat and provides a smooth experience through the water.

Passengers board and descend to seats in the hull that are below the waterline. Here marine life can be viewed through viewing ports, only centimetres away through the glass!"

This internet picture is exactly what our semi looked like.

This travel blog photo's source is TravelPod page: Semi-submersible, Great Barrier Reef, Australia

We did see one apparently harmless shark.

Lou

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:52 PM   #8

very cool post, it makes me wonder if everything gets out of the way in time of that big boat, with wildlife teaming all around it
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:04 AM   #9

These came out surprisingly well Lou - well done !

I used to do a lot of scuba & under-water photography was my raison d'Ítre whilst diving, even though my equipment was far from state of the art ! Most shots were taken with an Olympus 3040W but the housing (although only rated to 40M) went with me on numerous occasions to 60M. I would put some up here but they have absolutely nothing to do with Pentax ! BTW - My avatar is of a frogfish and I shot this in 20M @ Na Tang, Vietnam.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:06 PM   #10

Wonderful shots, Lou - what a wonderful experience. What I thought was interesting is that the first one (lovely shot, by the way) reminded me of one I took at the Monterey Aquarium. It's just that the coral area was small and wouldn't have been able to do a pano. That one really came out very well, as did all of these. Makes me want to go visit some place, any place, where I can take some new, interesting pictures. Since I can't at the moment, I'll just enjoy yours.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote