Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 17, 2010, 3:48 PM   #1

Default New York Photos

Hello Everyone.
Not sure what happened to my first post but here it goes. Even though I have had my Pentax for a while I have only just recently started using it again. If you must know I went on to leave the ISO setting at 800 after taking photos inside a church and only realized that it should have been set back to 200 at the end of the day. So it is with some questioning on my part that I'm posting these photos not knowing if they are decent or not. I hope you guys enjoy them and a big thanks for taking the time.
Attached Images

quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2010, 7:26 PM   #2

I had to laugh at the first one.
Looks like the cop was trying to decide if you were a tourist or a terrorist!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:28 AM   #3

Thanks for posting - very interesting ! I see the softness someone else mentioned in your other thread - as they are sharp on your monitor it is almost certainly the compression photos suffer on uploading to the site. Can you give us details of your camera & lenses used ?

I tend to mainly shoot in AV/TV so I can control DoF and speed whilst the camera sets the ISO. This works well most of the time. I set the maximum ISO to 1,600.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 9:12 AM   #4

Frogfish;
I also do most of my shooting in AV mode. I was using a Pentax DA 18-55mm along with a Zenitar 16 mm. I'm not excusing my poor ability to take photos, but I do think that the quality degrades during the upload process.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 1:49 PM   #5

It does degrade - it frustrates me no end.

Sorry I meant to say I shoot in TAv mode most of the time (not AV/TV). I like being able to set the DoF I need and also the speed 200 for macro moving objects, 100 for near stationary subjects, 640+ for moving objects and 180 for flash ... are the shutter speeds I use most whenever possible, usually with 5.6 or 8.0 if possible. These settings cover about 80% of the subjects I shoot.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 2:16 PM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Love seeing images from the Big Apple. Re. the softness, I find that using a hosting site such as Photobucket and then lnking to it seems like the only thing that works for me.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 2:32 PM   #7

I don't know. I've found that just following the posting guidelines results in plenty-fine pics. Keep the size below 1024Xsomething and filesize below 253KB. I simply loaded it into Irfanview, resized and upped contrast, saturation and sharpness. Nothing to it. My screen is 1024X768. I made the pic 990 pixels wide. From now on, I'm going to make things 980 wide to leave room for a small border.
Attached Images

frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:14 PM   #8

Thanks Frank-In-Toronto.
I have not posted many photos and I'm always eager to learn. I will try and fallow your suggestions and see what happens. I'm posting one more just to see if there is a difference.
Attached Images

Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:42 PM   #9

To keep from getting the "soft effect," be sure the final size of your uploaded photo is less than the limit of 250KB.

Looks like some fine photos (despite the softening) - great colors and interesting compostion as well!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 1:23 PM   #10

Mole
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I will be sure not to post anything larger than 250KB.
Ross