Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 18, 2010, 2:04 PM   #1

Default Huang Pu River from the World Expo site

3 shots - which one do you like best ? Any C&C welcome as most people will know I'm not really a landscape shooter !
Attached Images

Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2010, 2:46 PM   #2

Well, not portrait, for sure. If I have to choose, #1. But really I would like it if the sun was a little closer to the bridge (horizon). Are you running in and out thru the rain?
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:16 PM   #3

No rain - it wasn't quite dusk but I couldn't actually hang around until the sun went down so I deliberately increased the shutter speed, and the sun went behind the cloud, to try to simulate that effect.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:05 PM   #4

I like having the bridge in the picture, so I prefer the first and 2nd. There's not a huge difference between them, I don't think the presence of the boats makes that big of a difference, though they do give you something else to look at/consider.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:04 AM   #5

What time of days was it taken, not sure which would be true to the actually lighten. The first one look dark, and that it is sunset, but the sun seems kinda high for that. But it is the one I like the most.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 2:17 AM   #6

Hi Kevin,

I like #1 the best. Even though it's a wider frame, it's easier for my eyes to take in, and I like the way the reflection on the water is more of a significant feature with the higher perspective. I get the feeling that there's too much sky in #2.

I like what you've done here. My first impression that this was a night shot with a very bright full moon, but there are no lights on anywhere. . .so it's a little incongruous and mysteriously quiet.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 4:38 AM   #7

Thank you Harriet !

Shoturtle - it was taken about an hour before dusk but I deliberately wanted to give a sundown effect. Thank you for your comments.

Scott - Yes, I think I prefer #1 too but my taste doesn't always gel with mainstream appeal ! For #2 there is what I see as a 'Beijing Duck' - the cloud formation, hence the different shot / crop.

The sun was popping in and out from behind those clouds and presenting a great reflection on the river. However it was very bright, over-poweringly so, and I thought it would wash out the scene (particularly the sky / clouds) and not give the effect I wanted. So in the end I tried to get a darkened shot with the sun not too over-powering but still glimmering off the water. I'm not sure if it turned out as an attractive shot though hence I'm interested in what you guys think of them.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:03 AM   #8

Keven, when I first viewed the pictures I found myself struggling to try and resolve the details that I could not make out in the distance.

After looking at all 3, I went back and began looking at the shots again from the perspective of the art form and only then began to appreciate the subtle lighting and reflections and overall beauty contained in the photo.

I agree with Scott and like #1 best. I never noticed the "Beijing Duck" in #2 but since you pointed it out that's all I can see when looking at the sky.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:36 PM   #9

I can't make up my mind between 1 & 2.
I think #2... no #1, or maybe...

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote