Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 23, 2010, 7:42 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Sri Lanka's Hill Country (Final Chapter)

Here's the last chapter in the travelog from my recent travels. This time, let me take you into the "up country" of Sri Lanka. Leaving the coast, a 5 hour drive up some winding roads takes you up about 6,000 ft above sea level where the air is cool, mountains abound, and the scenery breathtaking.

SL's up country is most famous for Tea (still known today as Ceylon Tea). Here is a vista of a tea estate with the tea bushes carpeting the hills.

Tea is still picked by hand and a job that is traditionally done by women (I was told because of dexterity in the fingers). It is hard work and they get paid by the kilogram. Estate labor typically resides on or close to the estate in housing that is provided by the proprietors of the estate.

The tea estates are usually dotted with several pickers working the hills. From a distance they look like bees collecting pollen from flowers. The estates look very well manicured...the labor of never ending maintenence falling to the men in the community.

What is picked (or plucked) looks like this (the tips of the buds and new growth).

Finally along the way, are a number of waterfalls like this one.

While by western standards, working conditions in the estates are tough,the tea industry in Sri Lanka seems to be strongly committed to operating under improvingly responsible working conditions. Which makes me feel better when I enjoy my daily cup of pure Ceylon Tea.

Jehan

Last edited by Wingman; Jul 24, 2010 at 7:03 AM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2010, 7:59 PM   #2

Interesting to see the few odd trees here and there on the plantation. Thanks for posting.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 7:59 AM   #3

Interesting story Jelpee, that second shot looks like one pinched from PG Tips (a tea retailer in the UK) !! Absolute spit (as in spitting image).

Thanks for posting !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 9:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
Interesting to see the few odd trees here and there on the plantation. Thanks for posting.
I think the few odd trees are to prevent landslides..... they have longer roots which holds the soil true.....

Nice photos jehan ... I hope I can make some trips in september
Chesslanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:10 AM   #5

Great series, jehan. I love photos of the various agricultural regions and the commentary that you bring with it. The last shot of the waterfall is breathtaking. Thanks for posting.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 3:08 PM   #6

Nice series and great narrative. Having never laid eyes on a tea plantation it was very informative for me.

Nicely framed shots, thanks for sharing.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 5:41 PM   #7

Great shots, Jehan! Really nice colours, and lovely composition.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 6:15 PM   #8

Thanks for sharing these lovingly photographed views of some fascinating agriculture! Great job on all of them!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 9:39 AM   #9

Fascinating story about the tea plantations - never quite thought about where tea comes from, or how. The pictures are stunning, love all that green!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:08 AM   #10

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Thanks all. Glad that you enjoyed the series on my visit to Sri Lanka. It was very enjoyable and with a Pentax in hand, it was fun to capture the sights. Next major trip coming up is Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado--my annual father daughter photo trek. Can wait!

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote