Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal1970 View Post
Awesome Ronny - I have recently bought an O ring bracket, so I am gonna have to try this next chance I get.

What flashes are you using? Are they Pttl?
Thanks Dal,

no ttl whatever, I'm using two manual flashes that don't have any other settings than an on and off button.

I also use 2 wireless remotes from cactus, with the new version I can have sync speeds to 1/180sec and thats enough to darken any background even when there is descent light.

When using flashes with macros I normally set the flash in the correct direction before trying to get a picture. The camera (unless I want a background) is most of the time at 1/180sec , iso ranging from 100-400 and fstop going from 8-11.

I normally take a shot of a leaf or something else in the neigborhood of my subject, check the histogram and adjust fstop and iso. I try not to go to iso400, I'll rather have a f8 iso 280.

Then just go in and shoot, if you change your magnification (going closer to the insect) I'll raise the iso. Getting closer is getting another lighting of the subject.

Cheers

Ronny
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
More great ones, Ronnie. Like others said, you are becoming a pro at these closeup shots.

Patty
Thanks Patty
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:59 AM   #23

Thanks Ronny

That is roughly how I have been shooting, but I found the triggers a bit tempremental at times, so I have been use a cable

I think I will have to try with the diffusers on the flashes

Your work is still inspiring

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dal1970/

Nikon D7000
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal1970 View Post
Awesome Ronny - I have recently bought an O ring bracket, so I am gonna have to try this next chance I get.

What flashes are you using? Are they Pttl?
Dal, I look forward to your O-ring shots. I bought one of them several months ago, and I've loved it. Can't wait to see what someone else gets with it.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:54 PM   #25

Hi Ronny,

These are great!

A funny thing -- I saw #1 for the longest time as as a totally different type of lizard than #s 4&5. It's an optical illusion thing, and I saw it as a fish-faced lizard with a wide triangular head looking straight forward. Now if I concentrate, I can see it either this way, or as it actually is as a Gecko looking towards the camera.

Although I really like #1 for the mentioned effect, and #5 for the details in the feet, the crazy eyes of the chameleon and the detail in the snout is probably my favorite.

I've only shot a few times through glass, but found the flash doesn't have to be right up to the glass. The most important thing to prevent reflections is that the front element of the lens has to be as close as possible to the glass, and for small enclosures, a dedicated macro is probably the best bet to be able to focus close enough. The subject also has to be far enough away from the lens so that the lens doesn't partially block the flash. For example, I've shot some similar situations with the popup flash and the 180, though this is not an ideal setup to prevent shadows.

It must be mentioned that some animals might be startled by flashes, so I always ask before I shoot, and always defer to the keepers wishes if there is any concern on their part.

Again, this is a terrific series!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote