Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 29, 2010, 6:38 PM   #1

Default K7 Firmware Update 1.10

Hi All,

Some are probably aware of this, but I wanted to have a post about it for those who might not follow these things.

Firmware 1.10, according to the Pentax Imaging Site does the following (I cut and pasted)

"Version 1.10

Added movie editing function to the playback mode pallet. You can divide a movie into multiple segments and erase unwanted segments.

When the mode dial is set to M or X, and the Electronic Level function is enabled, a separate exposure meter indicator is now visible in the viewfinder and LCD panel. This allows the use of the Electronic Level and the exposure meter simultaneously.

Added Reversal Film to the available Custom Image modes.

Added the ability to autofocus during Live View when the shutter button is pressed half way down (previously only available via the AF button). Also improved autofocus speed during Live View."

and is available for download at the Pentax Imaging site:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/support...nd-literature/

Although I don't normally have cause to use any of these features, I did install the firmware without any issue. I did this because there are rumored to be (maybe mythical) "quiet" updates not mentioned in the official documentation that improve some features or correct some functional bugs, and I figure I've got nothing to lose, and possibly something to gain from updating. I might have some use for a speedier LV AF. . .

As in all firmware updates, follow the included instructions to the word, as a failure to load the update correctly can result in an inoperable camera that needs to be sent in for repair that would not be covered by the warranty.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:49 PM   #2

I didn't have any trouble updating my camera, either. Though I'm not so sure I understand what they are talking about for the reversal film mode - figure I'll play around with that tomorrow.

The one update that I do appreciate is the change in the camera's behavior with the electronic level. I use that constantly and love that I now can have both the level and the exposure metering when shooting manually - a very welcome addition.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:37 PM   #3

Others have dubbed the new reversal film mode "Velvia mode." Velvia was one of the more recent and popular reversal film products.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I didn't have any trouble updating my camera, either. Though I'm not so sure I understand what they are talking about for the reversal film mode - figure I'll play around with that tomorrow.
Hi Harriet,

That seems to be the feature that most are confused about. For those that are unfamiliar with the term, color reversal film was much more commonly known as slide film. These where the "*chrome" color films like Ektachrome, Kodachrome, and Fujichrome -- Fuji's Velvia pretty much ruled the market in the later years of film dominant photography as Jason noted. The colors are reversed from negatives, so it makes sense. Generally there is more saturation and warmer colors in slide film, and I think that these are the attributes that the mode will offer.

Slides also had less DR than negatives, but I don't think they'll be cutting the DR for the mode since digital sensors already do that.

I haven't used the different image modes much, but I should start experimenting with them as they could cut down on PP time, and I might just find some that I like for different applications.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:12 PM   #5

Ah, thanks for the info. I used to prefer the look of slide film and while Velvia was fun to play with once in a while, I preferred Kodachrome, a wonderful film. I took a few pictures using it today, shooting raw+ but haven't looked at them yet. I'll let you know what I think at some point this weekend.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:02 PM   #6

Just took a quick look at the couple of pictures I took - it does lower the dynamic range, making for a higher contrast picture as well as more saturated color. It'll be quite effective for certain shots, I think I'd use it for certain shots where details in the shadows don't count.

Here's a comparison, not the best picture in the world, but useful to show the difference. Raw version (K7, DA 35mm macro limited):

Jpg version, using film reversal mode:

Looking at them here, there's not as much difference than there is in Photoshop. I'll see if I can take better examples this weekend.

Last edited by mtngal; Jul 30, 2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 1:32 PM   #7

I had a very close shave today - tried to update the Firmware (following the Pentax instructions and those of the previous thread on this forum) and the camera said the Firmware was corrupted. Tried again - same thing. Then the camera refused to recognise the SD card and I feared the worst.

The camera refused to reformat the card so I took it to the Mac reformatted it there and then back to the camera - second time around it reformatted it OK. However now and again when switching on it still says the SD card is damaged and I have to reformat it again (in camera). This has really put me off upgrading my firmware.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 1:38 PM   #8

Duplicate.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 1:44 PM   #9

Duplicate

Last edited by Frogfish; Aug 3, 2010 at 2:35 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:09 PM   #10

It might also be that the card has a problem, not the firmware. Have you tried a different card? They don't last forever, and can become damaged (though the Sandisks I've been using seem to hold up quite well).