Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:46 AM   #1

Default help plz shutter wont fire *ist

Bought a backup camera, the *ist D for when i want to shoot smaller pics and not have to change lenses around.

First thing I noticed, the camera AF is fine and works with no problems on my sigma 24-60 ex and sigma 28-200 but my MF lenses shutter will not fire!

settings are set to allow aperture ring, but still doesnt work.

Ive gotten it to take a few pics with a MF lens on but its wierd and doesnt seem to have any rhyme or reason when to fire and when not to, some MF lenses it wouldnt want to fire any shots off at all.

Anyone else have this problem?

Bought my camera used off ebay, should I send it back to him? Not sure if this is a defective camera or not.

Another thing, when my sigma 24-60 ex is on the camera and I flip to MF mode, I can hear the AF motor start running all by itself and doesnt stop, not sure what its doing here...

and it wont take shots either.

Plz help if u can, i only have like 2 days to return it so need to know by then if this thing is broken or if thers something Im not doing right.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:55 PM   #2

1. Try resetting the menu choices to factory defaults

2. Download and install any firmware updates from the Pentax website

3. Download the manual from the Pentax web site

4. Call Pentax and speak with a customer support tech

After all that, if the motor still runs on manual focus, send it back.

Good luck - it really is a fine camera.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:35 PM   #3

Other than allow aperture ring, maybe check for catch-in focus setting?
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:49 PM   #4

Hi NMR,

penolta's advice is probably the best course of action.

To me, it sounds as if there's something wrong with the AF/MF switch, and MF is not switching to MF mode. The motor should be entirely out of the loop, as well as turn the camera to shutter priority from AF lock priority, and it sounds like neither of these are happening.

I think I'd probably return it, unless you got it for next to nothing, and possible repair costs would still allow the purchase to be viable. It is a very good camera -- if it works well. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
Other than allow aperture ring, maybe check for catch-in focus setting?
not sure what u mean by this, can u explain? Its possible thats my last hope the rest of the tests did not work.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:35 PM   #6

awesome, even though firmware was up to date, wiping it out and reinstalling fresh seemed to do the trick.

AF now disables properly and MF shooting now works, excellent!

p.s. I got for a great price now that it works, if this werent the case it would have been border line a deal.

Thanks for suggestions!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
Bought a backup camera, the *ist D for when i want to shoot smaller pics and not have to change lenses around.

First thing I noticed, the camera AF is fine and works with no problems on my sigma 24-60 ex and sigma 28-200 but my MF lenses shutter will not fire!

settings are set to allow aperture ring, but still doesnt work.

Ive gotten it to take a few pics with a MF lens on but its wierd and doesnt seem to have any rhyme or reason when to fire and when not to, some MF lenses it wouldnt want to fire any shots off at all.

Anyone else have this problem?

Bought my camera used off ebay, should I send it back to him? Not sure if this is a defective camera or not.

Another thing, when my sigma 24-60 ex is on the camera and I flip to MF mode, I can hear the AF motor start running all by itself and doesnt stop, not sure what its doing here...

and it wont take shots either.

Plz help if u can, i only have like 2 days to return it so need to know by then if this thing is broken or if thers something Im not doing right.
I'd return it ASAP!!

www.EdWoodsonPhotography.com
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:17 PM   #8

Glad you sorted it out - my guess would have been the AF/MF switch also. Manual lenses will fire if the switch is set to AF only when the camera thinks it's in focus, but will fire no matter what if it's on MF. Never thought that the firmware edition would make that much of a difference.

I was out shooting with the K100 the other day, and had forgotten just how good that 6 mp sensor was. The IQ stood up very well to the K7, just smaller.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
not sure what u mean by this, can u explain? Its possible thats my last hope the rest of the tests did not work.
Glad you got your problem sorted out.

What I meant about catch-in focus, there is a setting you can turn on within your camera to set it to fire the shutter when the subject comes into focus. It won't fire the shutter until it catchs focus while you have your shutter release pressed. It was a reach for a thought. Glad reloading the firmware was what it needed though.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:41 PM   #10

Quote:
awesome, even though firmware was up to date, wiping it out and reinstalling fresh seemed to do the trick.

AF now disables properly and MF shooting now works, excellent!

p.s. I got for a great price now that it works, if this werent the case it would have been border line a deal.

Thanks for suggestions!
Glad it worked out for you - "operator errors" can screw things up royally, which may be why it was sold in the first place. If the seller had asked here first, you might not have gotten it for such a good price, it at all!

Last edited by penolta; Jul 31, 2010 at 12:43 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote