Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:08 PM   #1

Default Dragonfly and a nymph(?)

Hello!

Yes I still am alive, and taking rubbish macro shots to bore you all! No spiders today sadly, but managed to get a dragonfly the other day, and found some bug, forget the name of. Someone showed photo's of it the other week and I think it was called a nymph? I dunno.

So absolutely gutted with the dragonfly photo's, I somehow forgot the batteries for the macro flash, and didn't remember to change modes, so the camera was still set for a 100% flash a few inches away, so the first few shots were massively underexposed. Then I changed the settings too much and got massively overexposed shots. By the time I found a happy medium the colleague who was out walking with me was bored and hungry, so had to say goodbye...

Here's the nymph... thingy... nearly didn't bother with these guys, from a distance they looked like generic moths flying around the bushes, and then I took a closer look and was pleasantly surprised by their beauty.

Tried to cover all angles to show their colour and pattern.

Hope you enjoy, please comment, and hopefully will show you some boring 'plane shots soon!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:26 PM   #2

I did indeed enjoy them Ash. been wondering where you've been, glad to see you hanging in there.
I really like #3 dragonfly. Don't think I've seen that color pattern before.
I'm not sure what the nymph... thingy is but sure is colorful!
nice shooting.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 5:42 PM   #3

Thanks GW!

Yeah happy with the species of dragonfly, normally I only see the normal green ones landing, so seeing this beauty was quite a joy.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:15 PM   #4

Excellent photos.

However the Leaf Hopper is not a nymph, but an adult (only adult insects have fully developed wings).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:06 AM   #5

Excellent shots Tachi (and good to see you posting again) - particularly like #3 of the Dragonfly and #3 of the Leaf Hopper. I have seen that species of dragonfly before and have some shots of it - I'll dig them out later to see if they are the same.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 5:51 AM   #6

Great series, nr 3 is my fav with the dragonflies, and really like the "Rhododendron Leafhopper" (Rododendroncicade Graphocephala fennahi) to.

once somebody told me to try to take a shot of that insect with its wings spread because they have a magnificent color. That was 6 years back, and I can say I've tried. You should try to
Old Jul 31, 2010, 6:55 AM   #7

Beautiful dragonfly. I have never seen one with such color. I also have not seen leaf hoppers with colors like that.

Nice series!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 7:21 AM   #8

Really nice work, mate. Very clear, very cool. Good on you! Thanks for these.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 7:27 AM   #9

What do you think Ash - looks very similar, possibly only regional differences but same species ?
Attached Images

Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Excellent photos.

However the Leaf Hopper is not a nymph, but an adult (only adult insects have fully developed wings).
Ah yes, that might have been it, someone posted photo's of leaf hopper nymphs, and I forgot the leaf hopper part, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Great series, nr 3 is my fav with the dragonflies, and really like the "Rhododendron Leafhopper" (Rododendroncicade Graphocephala fennahi) to.

once somebody told me to try to take a shot of that insect with its wings spread because they have a magnificent color. That was 6 years back, and I can say I've tried. You should try to
Thanks Ronny! good to know the classification for them, will certainly try getting a photo of the wings, but seeing how skittish they were, and fast not sure I will get a shot either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Beautiful dragonfly. I have never seen one with such color. I also have not seen leaf hoppers with colors like that.

Nice series!

Lou
Thanks Lou!

Not seen this variety of dragonfly for a while, normally you only see the regular blue or green types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Really nice work, mate. Very clear, very cool. Good on you! Thanks for these.
Thanks Eetu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
What do you think Ash - looks very similar, possibly only regional differences but same species ?
Definitely similar, not sure if they are the same species, would have to take more photo's and try to get it in the same position as yours to be able to compare better, awesome shot though mate!