Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:27 PM   #11

Superb shots Ronny! one and three are my favourites.

@Frog

Not seen a Red Admiral for years, tons of Tortoise Shell, Small Blue, Gatekeeper, etc but no Red Admirals.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 5:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
Amazing captures Ronny!
Thanks Glen
Old Jul 31, 2010, 6:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Wonderful series, Ronny! Your butterflies make my feeble attempts look so puny, and until I looked here, I was pretty happy with them. Sigh! Back to work, perhaps I'll post for some suggestions. I just can't get close enough to them to get any better - even with the quieter shutter speed of the K7, they moved every time I pressed the shutter.
thanks Harriet

Don't call them feeble, and don't stop trying to get better, practice always pays off.

It might seem strange but I'm still try to get better and compared with masters as Lord V (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordv) or Goldenorfe (http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/)
I'm just starting. What they do every time without effort (or so it seems) I really have to work hard for.

Then getting closer to insects (butterflies or anything else that can fly) is just having enough patience.

The only things I can think of to look out for are
  • don't move to fast, and that is with everything not only moving closer but as soon as you take a picture don't move the camera after taking the shot, unless very slowly.
  • if possible use a flash, they don't mind and if you can diffuse it, its gonna make your job much easier.
  • with butterflies, if they are feeding they will be less skittish, and if they fly away and you don't move a lot they will return to a flower in the neighborhood, or the same plant.
  • don't try to follow a butterfly you've scared of, they wont calm down soon
  • never (or only real slowly) change the light that falls on them, like blocking the sun or something like that.
  • I always set my camera, flash, etc ... before I try to take a picture of an insect by taking a shot of some plant in the neighborhood.
    I'm always on manual and when I've got the right settings I'll close in to the target.
Just my 5c, and still hope to see your butterfly shots
Old Jul 31, 2010, 6:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
Beautiful job Ronny, didn't realize these butterflies had fuzzy eyes like that. Very cool.
Thanks Mike
Old Jul 31, 2010, 6:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Superb shots Ronny! one and three are my favourites.

@Frog

Not seen a Red Admiral for years, tons of Tortoise Shell, Small Blue, Gatekeeper, etc but no Red Admirals.
Thanks Tachi, hope they start appearing again in your area
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:55 PM   #16

great series! beautiful shots
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:02 AM   #17

Great photos of a great "bug!" Excellent showcase both of your talent and the butterfly's beauty.
Some great tips for approaching them too. Just one more to add, it helps to stay low (I often walk on my knees towards nectaring or puddling butterflies), and try leaning towards them, rather than walking, to get even closer.
We see red admirals here in TN fairly often too - amazing that same species should be in so many locales...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote