Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:47 AM   #1

Default What should I bring?

August 28th I'll be going to Hawk Creek Wildlife Center for the Wild Photo Day. My choices of lenses are limited to what I own which isn't much. I have my all purpose Sigma 24-135mm and my DA 55-300mm for autofocus lenses, my manuals are a SMC A 50mm F2, Kiron 70-210mm. Since it will be at a wildlife center where the animals are captive I probably won't be needing the 55-300. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get close enough without the longer reach, but in some respects it's a better lens than the 24-135. Now, I'm also considering renting a lens or two.... so my question, If you were going to this photo shooting opportunity what lens would you bring? Answers don't need to be limited to the lenses I have since I'm also considering renting.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:57 AM   #2

Mike - sounds like a great day out. I don't know what animals you have there or close you will be so it's tough to guess. When I go to the zoo I use pretty much just 2 or 3 lenses :

Tamron 70-300 (you have the 55-300) / Tamron 90 macro (also an excellent portrait lense) / 43 Ltd - for low light indoors.

If you are really close to large animals then you might like to try a WA such as the 10-20 / 12-24.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Mike - sounds like a great day out. I don't know what animals you have there or close you will be so it's tough to guess. When I go to the zoo I use pretty much just 2 or 3 lenses :

Tamron 70-300 (you have the 55-300) / Tamron 90 macro (also an excellent portrait lense) / 43 Ltd - for low light indoors.

If you are really close to large animals then you might like to try a WA such as the 10-20 / 12-24.
We were there last month but it was a day open to the public, this day is devoted primarily for photographers. The animals are mostly raptors (owls, eagles, hawks), with a few others thrown in like an ocelot and a 3 legged otter. They are all rescued animals. When I was there last month we were able to get within a few feet of some of the birds. A wide angle wouldn't be a bad idea, I'm thinking for those closer shots that the 50mm I have will work out alright. Thanks for the ideas.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:29 PM   #4

I'd definitely take the 55-300. We went to the Arizona Desert Museum and there was a person holding a hawk. I got a great profile picture with the A*300, a lens I used constantly that day. So I would definitely want something longer than the Sigma. Take the Sigma also, since it seems to be the widest lens on your list and would be very useful for other shots.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 5:16 PM   #5

gotta agree with mtngal here the 55-300 is perfect for the job - not only has it got a versatile range its supposed to be a very sharp lens

the extra reach will give you the opertunity to fill your frame with the animal - my last visit to a wildlife park i used my 150-500mm mostly and while were afew occassions that i would have liked to switch to something wider they were relatively few and far between
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 1:40 AM   #6

I agree on the 55-300, but don't leave your 50mm at home. I have really gotten some nice portraits of eagles with terrific out of focus bokeh at events similar to simply because I did bring my low light, low f/stop lenses. Sample:

I think this was taken with my Pentax 50mm f/1.4. Sounds like a fun day. Just enjoy what you ou have and shoot with that.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:19 AM   #7

Was about to give suggestions when I noticed the date of your visit - sorry to be too late. Sure hope your photo-day was great!
With my captive raptors, my biggest challenge is to hold the bird in one hand, camera in the other, and still be able to focus! Use the 70-210 the most, for color quality and close-focusing. For you, would guess that the 55-300 would be most useful... Will look forward to seeing how well this worked out for you.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Was about to give suggestions when I noticed the date of your visit - sorry to be too late. Sure hope your photo-day was great!
With my captive raptors, my biggest challenge is to hold the bird in one hand, camera in the other, and still be able to focus! Use the 70-210 the most, for color quality and close-focusing. For you, would guess that the 55-300 would be most useful... Will look forward to seeing how well this worked out for you.
It's not until August 28th. Losing track of time in those lovely parks in Tennessee? Still got a month to plan.

Last edited by MadMikeSS; Aug 2, 2010 at 8:37 AM.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:49 AM   #9

Oops! I read that as July 28th!! Sorry!

So let me suggest the 55-300, and whichever is your best close-focusing WA (I would use my DA 16-45).
mole is offline   Reply With Quote