Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:53 AM   #21

love that last daisy shot, actually prefer the original crop better
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:20 PM   #22

Many thanks! By the way, the original shot has the daisy in the top middle, which sort of goes against the system of thirds. My wife and others like the first one... but being that I really want to learn more about composition, I wonder what it is that attracts people more to the first rather than the second... Again, just trying to learn. Thanks.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 6:20 PM   #23

Much better without the dot, Ned.
I wish I new more about composition myself. I don't even pretend to know what I'm doing, I just do what I think looks best to me and many times others don't necessarily agree.
For what its worth, looking at your two photos, I had trouble trying to decide which I liked better and why. After studying them for a few minuets, this is what I came up with. Technically, they're equally good but, the original shot gives me a sense of laying in a field, looking at the flower and just enjoying the beauty, open space and peacefulness of it all.

The other one makes me want to reach out and move it out of the way because its too close to my face to enjoy it and its distracting me from beauty of the space around me. I hope that helps. Of course that's just my interpretation of your photo, you may have had something else in mind and that's OK too... its your photo!

BTW, I'm not sure if I understand correctly... do you want to make the petals whiter without changing anything else? You can do that but, I think it looks fine just as it is. However, if you insist you can use the selection tool to select just the petals and then adjust the brightness.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:33 PM   #24

I'd be a little cautious about lightening the petals on the first one because you have it against the white cloud. If it were completely against the blue sky, then it would make a lot of sense. The thing that I like about it the way you have it here is that it's white on white and it stands out because it is a bit darker. You see the shape of it clearly. If it were to be as light as the cloud I think it would get lost. If you want to play around with it some, copy the background layer and then do your selection and lighten on the top layer. If you want to keep part of it but not all of what you do, or want to get rid of it completely and start over, you can just delete the layer (rather than creating lots of different files. Or else hide the layer you aren't sure about, copy the background layer again and then process a different way. Turn off and on the various layers to quickly switch between different edits by turning off and turning on the various layers.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 12:32 AM   #25

good thinking about the angle
and nicely done

apart from what others have said
my only suggestion would be next time to use some white card to add light to the dark areas, a flash is just way to much
Old Aug 5, 2010, 1:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
For what its worth, looking at your two photos, I had trouble trying to decide which I liked better and why. After studying them for a few minuets, this is what I came up with. Technically, they're equally good but, the original shot gives me a sense of laying in a field, looking at the flower and just enjoying the beauty, open space and peacefulness of it all.

The other one makes me want to reach out and move it out of the way because its too close to my face to enjoy it and its distracting me from beauty of the space around me. I hope that helps. Of course that's just my interpretation of your photo, you may have had something else in mind and that's OK too... its your photo!

BTW, I'm not sure if I understand correctly... do you want to make the petals whiter without changing anything else? You can do that but, I think it looks fine just as it is. However, if you insist you can use the selection tool to select just the petals and then adjust the brightness.

Actually, John, your words make a whole lot of sense, they are of great help. Many kind thanks.

Yes, I was thinking the pedals could could be whiter... but everything I tried seem to screw up the background, so I said "Forget it." Don't mind my first-born perfectionism.

Thanks John.

Ned
Old Aug 5, 2010, 1:08 AM   #27

Hello Harriet and Gamnut! Many thanks for your kind words and helpful suggestions. Harriet, you are correct in that I don't want the pedals to blend with clouds. Gamnut, white card/flash sounds like a good idea. My head was stuck so down in the soil, I didn't even have enough room to look at the buttons dials, so perhaps a flash at the lowest power would have been a good idea, or a whiteboard next to me. Thanks for this advcie.

Ned
Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
With regard to the last photo, I did do a slightly different crop. Wonder if this helps.

This crop of your last photo is good, but the vertical cropping of the first one in the series does not seem to work well - a greater sky area to the right would have helped, but as it was not available, I cropped out the excess above and below for a "rule of thirds" application. I would have preferred more sky, but I think it is better balanced this way. See what you think.

Name:  crop-1.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  69.1 KB

Last edited by penolta; Aug 5, 2010 at 4:42 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:36 AM   #29

Many thanks, Penolta, for your help and suggestions. I am just happy if I can learn anything from the combined knowledge in this forum, thank you for taking the time to help. Well with regard to the daisy that seems to be the most popular, I will leave that alone. I think John's comments, and a couple of others sort of hit home. Perhaps next year (with more healthier daisies, as these are withering big time) I can do a lot of reshooting.

With regard to the first daisy that you showed in your response, I decided to show the ORIGINAL... then an attempt to use the other daisy and the sun to sort show a perspective of the main daisy that towers above... so there is the original... a second try and then the one above that you pointed out, but only that I tried to take out some flare (I can't remove it all without really screwing up this photo... sorry I just don't have those pp skills yet)...

Old Aug 6, 2010, 1:57 PM   #30

You might want to think about getting a small, inexpensive reflector. I bought one for under $10 once at my local camera store. It folds up into a small case that fits into a camera bag pocket very easily. Mine has silver on one side and gold on the other - I should have gotten gold on one side and white on the other, then carried a piece of aluminum foil for silver. It's been very useful, when I remember to use it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote