Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 5, 2010, 4:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Good pictures, GW. However, you have two different hawks in the first series - #1,5&6 are a Red-tailed Hawk and 2,3,4 & 7 the Red-shouldered.

I prefer the third crop of the Scarlet Ibis - the first two are too tight, at least on the right side, and crowd the Ibis too much in front (it needs some space to look off into).
Thank you Pen. I was starting to think the heat had don more damaged to my brain than first diagnosed!
Originally, I thought I had captured two different hawks. Then after looking at the photos, I thought they were too much alike to be different species and that the variations were just a result of lighting and different angle of view. Now that you have pointed out which is which and I look at them it became more obvious they were different.
But, I'm still a little confused... is 1, 5, & 6 the Red tail? I googled both Red Tail and Red Shoulder hawk before I even posted these pics, and what I saw was no help. On each of the sites I went to, all of then had photos of hawks that were labeled Red Shoulder and looked like Red Tail or labeled Red tail and looked like a Red Shoulder. I guess what I'm asking is what features dou you look at to determine which it is? sorry for being so long winded, I'm just trying to learn

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
I guess what I'm asking is what features dou you look at to determine which it is?
GW, the adult Red-shouldered has a reddish horizontally barred underside, no plumage of the Red-tailed does. Red-tailed hawks are extremely variable, but darker Florida adults have a light breast and darker "vest" or belly band below, as this one does. Whomever told you the Red-shouldered was a falcon was probably mistakenly thinking of the unrelated Cooper's Hawk, which has a similarly barred underside, but is an accipiter, not a falcon (also unrelated).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:34 PM   #23

Thank you sir, That helps a lot.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote