Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:02 PM   #11

Some great advice from some great photographers here for you Rhofman. One thing I have to say is don't be discouraged by the criticism that you receive unless they are tearing your photos apart and not offering some constructive advice as well. I have to agree with pboerger though. I know your just starting out so it'll come along, but from what I've seen so far, your photos really lack a clear subject for the viewer to focus on. The flagpole probably is the best one that has a clear subject. The rest seem to have too many things to focus on. The last one of the berries, if that's what you were focusing in on, still ends up losing out to the sky and the leaves around them. If you could get in closer, either physically or via zoom and make the berries the focal point of the photo with some of the leaves as frame/background it would probably improve it a lot, I'd definitely lose the sky on that shot. Most of the last photos you posted are also a bit underexposed as well. Metering is not easy, I'm still trying to figure it out, but I tend to take a few shots at what I think is the proper exposure or meter and adjust accordingly until I get +/- ev to what gives me the best exposure. Would also be worth getting your hands on some good photo editing software, free or otherwise. You can adjust levels/exposure and all that after the fact and recover a lot.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:26 PM   #12

I would go with the pentax DA 55-300mm, it is a sharper lens on the long end then the tamron 70-300mm.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:45 PM   #13

I have to agree, I have the DA 55-300 and I used to have the Tamron 70-300. Both are great lenses but the Tamron was a little less sharp at 300mm and had more purple fringing. Either way you'll get some good shots, I have one photo in the Pentax Photo Gallery that was shot with the Tamron lens.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:10 PM   #14

I like the last two shots. The next to last one (the one with the ducks) is a bit beyond the dynamic range of the camera, not uncommon when you are shooting (more or less) into the sun like that. One way to deal with that is to use the auto bracket feature of the camera and merge the frames to make an HDR picture. That's assuming the ducks don't move too much. You can also try the in-camera HDR feature, but you definitely need to fix the camera on something, like a tripod. It's very unforgiving when it comes to motion - either the camera or the subject. Another option is to try to brighten just the grass. You won't re-gain any detail in the blown-out sky (that's the nature of things) but you can brighten the grass some. What software are you using to process your pictures? Software and processing is about as important as the camera, and can really help your pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:21 AM   #15

On this point I am using nothing at all. I also want to place the photo's on a normal site instead of a network site and copy the url into here.
I am going to use aperture 3 on my macbook. Mostly now I'm still using iPhoto but not editing the photo's.

I will try to get a real subject in the photo's. Now it was more testing with iso and f/ values.

Thank you all and when I've the new lense and some real photo's I will post them again.
Rhofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:27 AM   #16

When you move your catalogue into Aperture 3 (I use it and love it) be careful, back it up first and Google it - make sure everything is done according to the book (and maybe there are some tips to help with the transition) because I have heard of people having issues. I have never used iPhoto because of some of the issues it can cause and Aperture 3 is perfect if you are starting from fresh with a new computer (as I was).
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
I have to agree, I have the DA 55-300 and I used to have the Tamron 70-300. Both are great lenses but the Tamron was a little less sharp at 300mm and had more purple fringing. Either way you'll get some good shots, I have one photo in the Pentax Photo Gallery that was shot with the Tamron lens.
But what about the Macro option 1:2? and compare to 400 and 115 euro?
I first was going to buy only the 55-300 but because of price and macro I am doubting. And else I will only buy the pentax in 1 month. (next month or so)
Rhofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:47 AM   #18

Ralf.

If you find the Pentax is expensive then the Tamron is an excellent alternative option - it is still sharp and the CA (purple fringing) is only obvious when pixel-peeping, after a large crop or in very high contrast shots - and can be adjusted in post processing (by software).
I use mine all the time, it is a very good lens and exceptional for the price, if later you then want to move up to the Pentax you should still get a good price for the Tamron and probably not lose much at all. And it does have the 1:2 macro which is a big bonus when you are starting out in DLSR photography because dedicated macro lenses are expensive.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhofman View Post
But what about the Macro option 1:2? and compare to 400 and 115 euro?
I first was going to buy only the 55-300 but because of price and macro I am doubting. And else I will only buy the pentax in 1 month. (next month or so)
No doubt the macro option is a nice added bonus for the Tamron. You really can't beat the performance of that lens for the price you pay for it. If price is a concern then I wouldn't hesitate to get the Tamron lens. It really depends on how you intend to use it. I bought mine with the intention of shooting stuff in the distance like auto racing and air shows. For that end I preferred to have the lens that provided me with sharper full zoom shots, and it was a close comparison.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 9:19 AM   #20

Aperture 3 works really nice for editing, allot better then aperture 2. And think apple has step up their game. RAW support seems to be updated quicker then the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhofman View Post
On this point I am using nothing at all. I also want to place the photo's on a normal site instead of a network site and copy the url into here.
I am going to use aperture 3 on my macbook. Mostly now I'm still using iPhoto but not editing the photo's.

I will try to get a real subject in the photo's. Now it was more testing with iso and f/ values.

Thank you all and when I've the new lense and some real photo's I will post them again.