Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:24 AM   #1

Default Beginning photo's with Pentax K-X

As I promised to post some pictures that I shot during the last days.
It is not that beautifull but it are the first pictures and want to share that with you guys.

All are on automatic mode (also ISO etc) and JPEG. So also not edit with lightroom or aperture 3.

Tell me what you think. I want every argument why the picture is crap . Because I want to make my pictures perfect in the future, so don't be nice and tell me what I can do to make a similar picture much and much better.
Attached Images

Rhofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:28 AM   #2

Also like the other photo with sunset.. The surrounding is black and the sky/whole picture is also fuzzy.
I think it is because of the ISO or something. But well everything was on automatic so camera did everything his own way.
Attached Images

Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:31 AM   #3

couple tips for sunsets - always slightly underexpose (it brings out the colours) - make sure your on a tripod and use lowest iso unless there is some defiante reason not to such as foreground elements blowing in the wind and you want them pin sharp - if you can pick up a cable release so you dont touch the camera when taking the shot - you can use the self timer if you want but i hate waiting for it personally =)

also if you want detail in both the sky and the land since they typically have a huge variance in brightness at this time of day your gonna need some ND Grads - this are filters that you place infront of your lens that darken the sky but not the land so you set a longer exposure to brighten up the land without it burning out the sky - something to think about if you want to take sunset shots as they are invaluble for that

if the autofocus is having a hard time locking onto something aim for something on the horizon where sky and land meet good bet thats nice and far away and should be plenty of contrast for the autofocus to do its thing - you can also manual focus to infinity easily enough

make sure your also using the sweetspot on the lens aperture - probably around f8 also gives good dof for landscapes too

compositionally i personally think your sunsets have to much black in them - can use sillouetted stuff to frame them but dont over do it - also while the skies are quite nice colours without clouds too they kinda lack something

the garden flowers etc is a nice shot - nice colours and tones and the composition is pleasing aswell

the raindrops well focus is off target =) dont worry hard to get shots like this - would suggest prefocusing on a target on the table then switch to manual focus and leave it where it was set, then fire off a burst and then you should have some keepers or you could just manual focus straight off if your confident enough - can use liveview to help with manual focusing since can get a zoomed in picture

good start though - keep it up =)
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 2:16 PM   #4

Very nice start!

I like the framing of your first sunset photo. What I usually do for sunset photos is use spot metering and then meter not far from the brightest part of the sky. Use the AE-L button to lock in the exposure and then compose the shot the way you want it. That way you'll not have to worry as much about the dark ground influencing the meter too much and washing out the colors of the sky. One of the things at all of the photography books recommend is that you do not put the horizon in the middle of the frame. Decide what you want to show, either the ground or the sky and frame it appropriately, with the part you don't care about taking up a lot less of the picture. If you need to use the horizon line for a focus point (often you need to do that with sunsets), then focus on it, keep the shutter half-pushed so the focus stays locked and then recompose your shot.

Your garden picture is nice. I'm sure there are those that know more about composition that can give you suggestions for improving it, but that's not something I'm very good at judging. I like the colors and the technical aspect of this shot (exposure and focus etc. are right-on). The only thing I might do is rotate it a bit - it looks like you might have tilted the camera slightly (I do it all the time!) because the vertical lines on the building aren't straight.

I'm not so sure the problem of the raindrop photo is focus point as much as it might be a bit of camera shake. My exif reader didn't pick up any information from that shot so I don't know what shutter speed you used. I suspect it was pretty slow - looks like it was pretty dark out there! Anti-shake helps a lot with camera shake, but it isn't a miracle-worker. Even with it, I can't hand-hold a shot at 1/5 sec. (some people can, though).

Keep it up you are off to a good start and you are starting to learn about some of the tougher pictures to take, no matter what camera you are using.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 5:25 AM   #5

Thank you for the comments. indeed the landscapes were way to black under and the sky is not really legally color. I was not happy with that pictures when I put them on my pc. Think something to do with ISO. (that is what colleagues said.)

Also the tip about the f8 and focussing on which point will come in handy. Same as how to position the sky and ground not 50/50.

The raindrops were a little experiment. Saw that on the table and looked nice so. I didn't have time to focus good because it was raining and didn't want my camera to be wet on the first day :P Need a bigger lens so I can stay in my dooropening
I want to buy a 55-300 from pentax. (see attach)
http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/produc...p?T1=PTX+21720

If you got some better lenses for that range or recommends. be my guest

I will post more Netherlands photo's soon.

see ya soon regards Ralph
Attached Images

Old Aug 7, 2010, 5:42 AM   #6

Hey Ralph, having some fun with your new kx already I see.
Most has already been said. Just some things to add: indeed sweetspotspot for the 18-55 is f8. When you dig into aperture values some more you'll learn to use it more.
As mentioned, sunsets are pretty tough, hard to get the right exposure. You could try to shoot in raw and make an HDR out of it. Or buy a tripod and shoot at 3 different exposures and convert them into 1 Hdr, That way you keep detail throughout the Photo.
About the horizon composition, you could try the rule of thirds, so you either set the horizon at the or the bottom third of the frame.
About a longer lens, you should look at the pentax 55-300 or the Tamron 70-300.
THe pentax performa better at the long end, but is also much more expensive. The tamron has a macrofunctionwhich could come in handy.

Good luck!

Cheers

Last edited by JC de Jonge; Aug 7, 2010 at 5:44 AM.
JC de Jonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 6:37 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum Ralph !

That Pentax 55-300 is a great lens for the price - buy it ! Unless you prefer the Tamron 70-300. I have the Tamron and the advantage is that is also has 1:2 macro .... and does it very well too (so in effect 2 lenses in one). However the Pentax has the added advantage of 55 vs 70 .. which does make a difference, and it is a sharper lens with less CA (purple fringing on subject edges in high contrast shots).
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 9:24 AM   #8

Aside from the technical aspects, none of the shots are of compelling subjects. Find interesting and beautiful things and place to shoot.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:56 AM   #9

So yesterday was a nice day for some photo's so tried somethings with different ISO and f/ Also I used the AV mode. and shot in JPEG (not yet in RAW)
To bad I needed to open them with paint so the photo's were not 5mb. So maybe the quality has went something down.

And again.. Say everything you want and help me were is needed. Also for rikmeister; This photo's are a little bit related to your question about holland. Also the previous photo of the rain will tell allot about the netherlands. Because it is summer now here (and raining :S)
Attached Images

Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:11 AM   #10

Rhofman, welcome to the forum. The best advice I've ever heard for someone learning photography comes from Marlee Matlin in the quirky documentary, "What the (bleep) Do We Know?. Matlin, a wedding photographer, tells an aspiring young girl that the best way to become a photographer is to "take lots of pictures."

Have fun getting to know your camera; experiment with it; you'll have some flops, but along the line, you'll begin to see more and more interesting photos as you come to see what it is that you like.

Keep sharing with us.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote