Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 8, 2010, 8:18 PM   #21

Sounds like a good challenge. It will make me try this. I'm home all next week. Won't be able to pick up my camera, but I think I've probably got some older images I could at least experiment with. Actually, is it the photos being taken in the last 90 days or the process? I do have all month, though.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 1:38 PM   #22

OK,
I'll go with one of those "impossible" shots: a black painted body in the shadow coupled with a shiny metal plate in bright, direct sunlight...

THE OLD SEWING MACHINE

This one was sitting on it's table in the landing and since I use the stairs several times a day I had the chance to see it in different lighting situations. I'm a bit sad, that I didn't take a series like "day1, day2, day3" or "morning, noon, evening" - maybe next time. All I did was going there on one evening, when the sun lit the machine with it's golden evening light. I don't normally do bracketing shots, but after some shots I decided to place the camera on the table, set a self timer and do a -2/+2/0EV series. You'll easily be able to guess the results: the dark image shows the metal plate, the light image the black body and the middle exposure shows a somewhat overexposed metal plate with a way too dark black body.

Now let's merge them! I developed the RAW's with PSE, all settings "0" but the WB, merged the 3 JPEG's in PL32, normal postprocessing in PL32+PSE+GIMP (histogram works, a lil'l color touchup etc.). I also tried Picturenaut, but wasn't happy with the colors I got.

And here we go - there is the black painted body, there is the metal plate with the ornaments, you can guess the very warm colors from the evening sun. On my monitor saturation is quite ok and the image is close to what I saw with my own eyes - just the metal plate had a bit stronger light reflexes maybe, which can't be reproduced by the monitor anyway

What do you think? It's a bit away from the usual landscape, but I am happy, that I tried the HDR/tonemap stuff for this picture in the end.

Kind regards,
Th.
Attached Images

Last edited by thkn777; Aug 9, 2010 at 1:43 PM.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:11 PM   #23

I think its an outstanding example of how HDR can make a picture that would otherwise be difficult if not impossible. I too am thinking of trying something that stretches the limits.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 3:05 PM   #24

Excellent example of HDR, how it can be done to look very natural and why one would use it. If you were to take the middle exposure I'd bet it had clipping in the highlights and in the darks. Not only that, I love the subject, that old sewing machine is very interesting.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 4:19 PM   #25

Thank you, mtngal and pboerger!

For those that are interested, there is another thread about that sewing machine here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...g-machine.html Maybe you like some of those images, too.

Regarding the challenge - in image #1 you can see the lighting situation quite well. The problem really is, that the visible black parts are in the shadow of the machine itself. Also there were nearly no light sources but the window. Kind of a challenge I bet everyone of you already had to master My everyday approach is just to choose a part of the object and then another and so on and then have a series and "compose" the whole thing in my head when I look at the images.
The best image straight from the camera is #2 for me in terms of overall dynamics, but still there are blown highlights which the Qimage automatic processing wasn't able to overcome.

Regards,
Th.

Last edited by thkn777; Aug 9, 2010 at 4:29 PM.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:21 AM   #26

Thkn, that's not just a good HDR, that's a good picture! Very easy on the eyes with good composition and great natural colors.
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:10 PM   #27

lovely photos everyone, here is my submission till I get around to doing another one.

Havent been too creative lately, so again I was just shooting around my yard.

200mm cz jena 2.8 on K20d mounted on tripod, 5 shots if I recall correctly.

Btw, I did the HDR effect manually using the layer and blend method in Photoshop, I prefer doing this to have full control.

Last edited by NMRecording; Aug 12, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 1:15 AM   #28

I was going to set up a tough scene for the challenge when this sunset with storm clouds came in over Mt. Eddy in Mount Shasta. I kept checking with my son, who was with me on the shoot, as I processed the picture in Photomatix Pro to make sure I didn't overdo it. It had to be an HDR to get all the shadows and highlights.
Attached Images

Last edited by pboerger; Aug 13, 2010 at 8:53 AM.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:13 AM   #29

Great pictures everyone. These are really nice and amazing examples on how good you people are with your cameras. Here is my 1c not 2c comparing to these awesome shots.
Attached Images

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Autofocus
http://razzi.me/zuken
Zuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 3:30 PM   #30

A bunch of neat shots! pboerger - that sunset is outstanding!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote