Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 15, 2010, 8:46 PM   #31

Here's my entry for the moment, if I don't find anything better. It was taken yesterday at a local car show. The conditions were difficult - perfectly clear, high altitude, late morning, interior and exterior of a car. I was really happy with the way it came out - taken with the K7 and HDR processing with Photomatix.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:42 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Here's my entry for the moment, if I don't find anything better. It was taken yesterday at a local car show. The conditions were difficult - perfectly clear, high altitude, late morning, interior and exterior of a car. I was really happy with the way it came out - taken with the K7 and HDR processing with Photomatix.
Good morning,
sounds like one of those "impossible shots", too I like the processing, there are hints for being a HDR but it stays quite natural and the sheet of paper, the look through the front window and the details in the seats add to the overall feeling for me.

For some reason I am undecided about the crop, though. I know, this was probably a very tough decision... and then there is the limit of 800px on the longest side... /sigh Still this is something where I am curious about the whole image and would experiment...

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:43 AM   #33

Here is an HDR (using software) of the bridge here in Jyväskylä. Note the dummy hanging from left of the bridge...

Here is the original shot...

Last edited by Eetu; Aug 16, 2010 at 2:47 AM. Reason: Added original
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:44 AM   #34

Okay Frogfish,

You have gotten me to really shoot out of my comfort zone is a way. And I am not a photo editing advocate. But here is my tone mapping try.

The original shot that the tone mapping is including
Attached Images

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 16, 2010 at 2:54 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:55 AM   #35

The original shot could stand by itself, but I like the effect you did with the software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Here is an HDR (using software) of the bridge here in Jyväskylä. Note the dummy hanging from left of the bridge...

Here is the original shot...

Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:20 AM   #36

Thanks Shorturtle!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:42 PM   #37

Th - what you see is what I took, no cropping at all, just resizing. There was quite a bit of ghosting around the people you see through the window, so I took them from the single exposure that most closely matched that part of the picture so it wouldn't look pasted on.

Ned - nicely done on the HDR. I very much like it.

Shoturtle - while I like yours, it shows up one of the things that tone-mapping can do to a picture. The tone-mapping makes the scene look flatter than the original one does, your photo is an example of this. Shadows give you a feeling of shape/depth. By making the light equal throughout the scene, like your picture does, it takes away some of that feeling of depth. That can be effective for some shots, and there's a whole group of artists that painted in that type of motif. It's not a negative, just something to think about when processing a picture (what is it you want to show). The clouds are much more interesting in the HDR version, definitely a good thing. A good example of one of the effects you can get when tone-mapping.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:19 PM   #38

Thanks Harriet.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:37 PM   #39

Thanks Mntgal,

Yeah I did not like the lost of shadows as much, but I did like what it did to the clouds. I still prefer the orginal. I am still not sure HDR tone mapping is my cup of tea.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:08 AM   #40

@shoturtle
as for the loss of contrast - there are several ways to overcome this. In the HDR Cafe thread (look here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...-hdr-cafe.html) I talked about local contrast enhancement for example.

I'd like to invite you -and all others of course - to meet me there and read and discuss about those technical aspects. That's why I started that thread anyway.

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote