Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 21, 2010, 6:31 PM   #51

Some really fascinating photos here!
Have tried HDR a few times before, and was not at all pleased with the results. But this challenge inspired me to try again.
Was up on Roan Mt the other day, taking early morning shots of the fog across the mountains. Decided to play with a few of the raw files, and try to create an HDR using HDRtist software. Here is my favorite of several tries. Still not sure if I like HDR landscapes or not...
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 6:32 PM   #52

PS - to Kevin/Frogfish
You mentioned you wished they had Picturenaut for Mac. I just downloaded it, and it starts up just fine on my Macbook just fine, using WINE. Have not had time to try it out yet...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:03 PM   #53

Nice shot mole. HDR is really useful in landscapes like these.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:09 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
PS - to Kevin/Frogfish
You mentioned you wished they had Picturenaut for Mac. I just downloaded it, and it starts up just fine on my Macbook just fine, using WINE. Have not had time to try it out yet...
Thank you Mole ! I've downloaded and opened it in Crossover, seems to work OK, if there's any problem I have Wine installed too.

Kevin

Last edited by Frogfish; Aug 22, 2010 at 3:49 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 2:11 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Some really fascinating photos here!
Have tried HDR a few times before, and was not at all pleased with the results. But this challenge inspired me to try again.
Was up on Roan Mt the other day, taking early morning shots of the fog across the mountains. Decided to play with a few of the raw files, and try to create an HDR using HDRtist software. Here is my favorite of several tries. Still not sure if I like HDR landscapes or not...

Wow, both are great... but I sort wish to combine the sky and clouds of the first with the mountains of the second... but both are great mole!

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:25 PM   #56

Ok, this is a tad over the usual 90 day limit. I did not see any restriction, so I'll toss this into the hopper. I have also posted this on Steve's before...

I used Photomatrix, which treated the inputs as bracketed with a HDR JPG as an output. However, in the traditional sense this is not an HDR per se. Its more of a set of stacked images blended together. If anything its High Dynamic Range across Time. No real tone mapping at all.

I wanted a very natural looking multi-colored sky at sunset, and the valley lights at dusk, combined together - and really nothing even suggesting HDR. Unfortunately, they do not occur at exactly the same time. So, over the course of an hour, I took 5 sets of bracketed shots (5 shots per bracket set). Then loaded them up in to Photomatrix and let it go - with this as the result.

In this way, I was able to combine the blue, red and orange sunset sky with the valley lights as they came on a bit after dusk all fused together in a 180 degree panorama.

I had also been practicing with multiple row stitching, using an FA31, trying to stitch the sky together (taken a bit prior to dusk) with the valley lights (taken after dusk). An absolute disaster. So by using a fisheye, I was able to get the 180 degree pano vista I wanted, coupled with sky and valley all in one.

... also over the last 8 months or so, I have been trying to figure out which HDR / Pano stitching software utility really worked best. I do like Photomatrix, but I also like a couple of the others. Still have not made up my mind - yet!!

... I have also been playing with HDR - Photomatrix, but rather than 3 or 5 inputs, going again with multiple sets, but removing an underexposed or overexposed image from the sets, so as to skew the output a bit into the color sense I wanted. I was very surprised that this works very well.

So, this is 20 individual images consisting of 5 sets of 5 bracketed shots (with the overexposed frame removed - so really 5 sets of 4) over the course of about an hour using a K20 with a DA 10-17 Fisheye @ 10mm, ISO 100, tripod, 2 second mirror up with an wired shutter release. With the removal of the overexposed frame, I was able to keep the relative darkness of the landscape while bringing out the sky. However, if you look closely, you can still see the texture of the foliage in the "shadows" of the foreground.

Attached Images

Last edited by interested_observer; Aug 23, 2010 at 10:51 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:25 AM   #57

Mole - the reason I like HDR is that not only can photographs be delivered in a whole plethora of different renderings but you can produce very natural shots that show up otherwise lost details or you can go the whole hog and produce something very esoteric but, nonetheless, delightful/beautiful.

There are some really excellent pieces of work in this thread (e.g. I.O's shot just above) - I'm thrilled with the response to what I thought may be a risky topic for a Monthly Challenge.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 2:20 PM   #58

well, better late than never
this is my first try with HDR, and I think it came out ok.
anyways, haven't had much time this month since there have been some travelling and a lot of work...

SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 5:24 PM   #59

Cybertron - for a first try, you sure did a very nice job with this one. I really like it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 1:27 AM   #60

Sorry,
I am really busy at the moment, that's why only a few short comments.

@penolta
The car is as clear as it can get, the front window looks a bit funny where the software tried to match the left nearly white part with darker background to the right and the lamps tell about the HDR thingie imho - but the overall impression is wonderful, I like the colors, the refections in the ground and I don't mind the cluttered background as I know, that those exhibitions look that way Well done.

@pboerger
I think a mixture of the original and the "overprocessed" version would work for me. The original might look a bit flat, but then... I like clouds and mostly there aren't such strong contrast even in storm/rain clouds. It's HDR afterall... ok. Just my feelings.

@Keltech
Nice one! With the clear sky the stones in the front were rather dark I bet - I took similar photos and found, that my eye responded different to the camera in such situations. Almost no ghosting and(!) it's a pano... nice job. I'd wish for just a small cloud to be honest - but as I said - I love clouds, so that's just me.

@mole
Wonderful. If this was in the morning, how's the color reproduction in the HDR compared with what you saw? I think the foreground feels more like late morning with the sun high over the horizon while the clouds in the upper part feel like very early morning . Overall feeling is great, as I can "re-combine" the scenery a bit in my mind I think looking at the upper and lower part of the image seperately. Minor/acceptable ghosting or better to say "local contrast ghosts"... well done!

@interested_observer
Don't get me wrong on this, but at first I thought "huh?". Then I followed your explanations and found, that you did something unusual with the shadows - you darkened it! In most cases contrast will be low in a HDR scenery as the high dynamic range is compressed and without local contrast enhancement you'll get some flat looking images. In your case I expected the foreground much lighter from the long exposures, but you did it the other way... it's like a separate highlight/shadow threatment. Hm. Very interesting. If that's what you saw - good technical approach.

@Cybertron
For a first-timer a good result, I like the lower part up to the tree line. The (maybe unevitable) ghosting effects and the sky rendering are not to my liking. No offense meant - just my honest opinion.

Kind regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote