Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:31 PM   #1

Default To scope or not to scope

the PF-80 EDA Pentax looks like a huge scope and specifically made for birding.

Ive heard its relatively ez to attach these to a pentax dslr, but im curious as to the quality of this scope. Its about the same price for this scope as the da*300, and while Im happy with my current birding lens, am wondering if this scope offers any benefits, besides size and weight obviously.

• 21-63x Wide Angle Zoom Eyepiece Included
  • 37-63 Apparent Field of View
I read the glass measures about 80mm I believe, but curious to the equivalent magnification of this lens. Also with little knowledge im finding with them, is it sharp like a da* ?

Any one have any more info?
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:38 PM   #2

Very high quality. Pentax makes among the best binoculars and spotting scopes. The ED is for Extra low Dispersion glass, which allows for less light scatter and sharper, contrastier images, and is only used in top of the line optics..

The 80mm objective with a 20x prime ocular would have a 4mm exit pupil, with a 40X only 2mm, so doubling the power halves the light. You would be better off with a 10X or 15X prime ocular which would provide either 8mm or 5.3mm. Zoom oculars generally have been less suitable for photography than primes, although they can be used. Prime oculars are not available for many of the newer scopes because zooms are preferred for convenience in observation, where lower powers are useful for scanning and higher powers for identification, and photographic adapters are not available for all brands of scopes. Remember also that as magnification increases, so does the effect of motion (vibration) - you need a sturdy tripod and remote release for steadiness.

Last edited by penolta; Aug 7, 2010 at 10:58 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 5:41 PM   #3

I appreciate the info here. I've been wondering if this was something worth getting into.
Thanks,

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 6:33 PM   #4

Thanks for the info penolta - I looked at a couple of scopes at Samy's show (when Pentax was there). I looked at two different ones that were really awesome - they should be because they were both something like $2000-2500. While that's way out of my range, I sure would have liked one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:52 PM   #5

Thanks alot for this great info. This actually seems like a good gamble, as you can purchase the scope itself for around 800. I havent looked around much so maybe less.

I know nothing of low and high powered prime oculars. Do you have any to reccomend? Ballpark of those figures?

I can agree to that motion vibration, the remote surely helps with that and for once I am blessing the enormous weight of my Bogen. I was shooting today with a 3X TC (Youwch I Know) coupled with my 200mm cz 2.8 and producing usable shots. The Vivitar 3X TC is definitely of low quality and making it very difficult to get any kind of sharpness. I am also curious as to a good 1.4 or 1.7 X TC for M42 mount. perhaps I will throw that in the pentax lens section post, to not throw the direction here. I did however love the range I had so this scope is interesting me considerably.

Here is the combo I shot with today in my yard, not much to see but did enjoy the sunset. the sunset was accented a bit in Cs4, and yes that is dirty sensor, :Z

Last edited by NMRecording; Aug 8, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
the PF-80 EDA Pentax looks like a huge scope and specifically made for birding.

Ive heard its relatively ez to attach these to a pentax dslr,
My personal preference is not to use an angled scope, but the straight ones, as it is easier to spot and aim along the barrel as the field of view is very narrow - I never could master the angled ones - by the time you locate the spot where the bird was it has gone! I would prefer the ED model to the EDA.

The Pentax scope does not seem to be adaptable to SLR photography (other than simple digiscoping where you put a digital camera up to the lens and shoot). Pentax does make an adapter with its own internal optics so you do not use either the scope's or camera's lens, however it costs half as much as the scope, and is not available through Pentax USA, but B&H does offer it - one review on their site does recommend it highly. It is about 1500mm equivalent FL.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html#features
Old Aug 11, 2010, 5:19 PM   #7

I have a PF-80 EDA and love it. I have given some thought to getting the digiscoping adapter but have not yet done so. I have a Nikon 995 and there is an adapter for it that will fit the PF-80 and it is only $120. The Pentax PF-CA35 K-Mount SLR Camera Adapter sells for $419.

I find the viewing through the angled scope to be more comfortable and allows me to share the view with my wife who is much shorter than I. As far as finding the target you do get used to the offset and at 20x viewing I find it pretty easy to acquire the target.

The scope is well made and gives an outstanding image. I have the 20-60 zoom and have used the whole range but find that at 60 times a lot depends on the outside temperature and the speed of the wind. I think that @ about 35x I get the best average result.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:06 PM   #8

thanks for this. the price of the adapter is throwing me off. I was told it would mount with a normal T mount and too bad that info was wrong. I am solely wanting a scope to shoot with my k20d, perhaps ill look at different brands which seem to use the more accessible T mount.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 7:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
thanks for this. the price of the adapter is throwing me off. I was told it would mount with a normal T mount and too bad that info was wrong. I am solely wanting a scope to shoot with my k20d, perhaps ill look at different brands which seem to use the more accessible T mount.
Look at Celestron, which has the broadest selection of photographically oriented t-mount scopes - their best ED scopes are angled only, but they have other straight models. Also the Bushnell high quality Elite spotting scopes have an slr adapter.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:14 PM   #10

Thanks very much, good to know