Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:51 AM   #1

Default Toronto modelling meetup

I was in the Toronto modelling industry meetup Aug 7 which was an opportunity of models meeting photographers. I am just an amateur and I do not even have a business card to give when asked by budding hot models. The images are self explanatory as to who was crowned the top. The spot lighting was very erratic and white balance was off majority of the time when 20 people were firing up their flash the same time

But who cares as I was mingling amongst lot and lot of photogenic subjects. Fighting good shooting spot is not my forte and all the above were done with long lens

Daniel , Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2010, 1:21 PM   #2

That would have been a fun place to be.

Nice shots of the ladies.

Pentax K1000, A50 f/1.7, M135 f/3.5, A70-210 F/4

www.EdWoodsonPhotography.com
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 4:03 PM   #3

You have way too much fun, Daniel!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 4:32 PM   #4

Hi Daniel,

Terrific series!!!

I can see that I've got to branch out and do some different styles of shooting, and this looks like some fun, and as I prefer not to fight for position, I could put some of my mid to long glass to some use. . . probably a good excuse to break out the Tokina 80-200/2.8, but it's so heavy with the AF540 . . .

I think I'd warm up the colors a bit in PP -- WB had to be a nightmare. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2010, 5:39 PM   #5

Eddy, GW

Fun is the key ingredient. Thanks for taking time to comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Daniel,

Terrific series!!!

I can see that I've got to branch out and do some different styles of shooting, and this looks like some fun, and as I prefer not to fight for position, I could put some of my mid to long glass to some use. . . probably a good excuse to break out the Tokina 80-200/2.8, but it's so heavy with the AF540 . . .

I think I'd warm up the colors a bit in PP -- WB had to be a nightmare. . .

Scott
You have a couple of key premium lenses and shooting portrait or anything across a room will not intimidate you. White balance and lighting are always the key issue shooting models.

I am not interested in studio type of perfect setting of shooting as equipment demand is astronomically high. After having all the setting right (softbox, reflector, pocket wizard, strobes, make-up....) I can only get very stereotyped artificial smile and postures.

It is like shooting birds. A critical moment of its flights up in the air is 200x more precious than stationary.

Agreed with you on the WB issue as well (part. the last image). I am just too lazy

Daniel

Last edited by danielchtong; Aug 8, 2010 at 5:43 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 8:28 PM   #6

It does look like you are having a great time. You can tell just how difficult the wb is in some of them - gelled lights somewhere and flashes going crazy - your pictures came out quite well. The last one could improve with a bit of warming but these are all quite charming.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:21 AM   #7

This really looks like a fun time, but the shooting conditions would really be tough. Echo everything that's already been said. I've been playing with the portable strobe set ups lately.... truly are an incredible pain.

I really like the expressions of the young lady with the crown. She's projecting a lot of emotion.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
The last one could improve with a bit of warming but these are all quite charming.
As suggested. I did some warming up the last image in the image in pbase. See if it is better. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
This really looks like a fun time, but the shooting conditions would really be tough. Echo everything that's already been said. I've been playing with the portable strobe set ups lately.... truly are an incredible pain.

I really like the expressions of the young lady with the crown. She's projecting a lot of emotion.

Paul
Paul

That is my aim of doing sub studio quality portrait and the benefit is that the model will act a lot more natural than otherwise. Thanks for taking time to comment.

Daniel

Last edited by danielchtong; Aug 17, 2010 at 4:53 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:30 PM   #9

Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:07 AM   #10

Some guys have all the luck.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses