Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 8, 2010, 8:58 PM   #1

Default Going small with the Bigma

I went out this afternoon in my front yard with the Bigma. The heat has pretty well chased everything but the dragonflies and grasshoppers away in search of cooler temps. But, I was surprised to note just how much variety there was in dragonflies.

A clearwing hummingbird moth made a brief appearance at my butterfly plant

The butterfly plant was also the place these two tried to use for a little privacy....

All of these were taken with the K-7 and the Sigma 50-500mm (Bigma).

Paul

Last edited by Trojansoc; Aug 8, 2010 at 9:22 PM.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2010, 10:35 PM   #2

great series paul, what is the closest focusing on the bigma? You definitely use this lens well
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:35 AM   #3

Really nice series Paul - #3 is my favourite, perfect composition. I don't remember having seen #4 before - I'm sure Penolta can enlighten us as to the species !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:14 AM   #4

Hi Paul,

A very nice series!!! Looks like you had a pretty good day yourself.

You really get to see what a good lens the Bigma is when you can get close like this. This eliminates a lot of the problems that can become factors as distance increases. I personally can't handle the weight well, but you've shown here that you can.

I like the Hummingbird Moth, even with the motion blur -- I've seen how hard these guys are to shoot -- they never stop moving, and just getting close to a focus lock is nearly impossible.

Good work!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Paul,

You really get to see what a good lens the Bigma is when you can get close like this. This eliminates a lot of the problems that can become factors as distance increases. I personally can't handle the weight well, but you've shown here that you can.

I like the Hummingbird Moth, even with the motion blur -- I've seen how hard these guys are to shoot -- they never stop moving, and just getting close to a focus lock is nearly impossible.
Thanks, Scott. I am a pretty big person with large hands, so I really don't find the weight of the Bigma cumbersome, although if I shoot more than a couple of hours with it, I can definitely see some fall off in the quality of images. I nearly always shoot it free-hand simply because of the types of subjects for which I use it, and I have more trouble on the tripod than I do free hand. (although some of these were middle shots from five shot AE bracketing bursts in an unsuccessful attempt to do a dragonfly HDR)

We frequently see the clearwing hummingbird moths in our yard at this time of year. This was an isolated one, and I popped off these shots just after I walked out the door and saw him....no time to get the lighting right. I tried to readjust (high ISO, opening up the aperature, etc) to try to get a motion stop shutter speed, but by the time I did it, he was gone.

NMR, I don't remember the listed minimum focusing distance with the Bigma, but most of these are at near full extension of the lens (between 400 and 500mm) and at minimum focusing as determined by the foot zoom mechanism , and that generally worked out to be about six feet. I really like having that distance when I'm trying for things that have stingers, like the red wasps I also shot yesterday afternoon.

Paul
Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:48 PM   #6

Nice going Paul!
The last shot is amazing. Great color and lighting. I see you were at the 500mm setting, how far away were you?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Really nice series Paul - #3 is my favourite, perfect composition. I don't remember having seen #4 before - I'm sure Penolta can enlighten us as to the species !
Well, Mole is more familiar with the Eastern dragonflies than I am, and he can double-check me, but my guess would be an Eastern Pondhawk, the next one a Common Whitetail, and the second one may be a Twelve Spotted Skimmer. #1 and three I couldn't say.

That is quite a variety to find on one place at one time, and well photographed. I never would have thought of the Bigma as a close-up lens, but then, I have never handled one - Paul, are these cropped?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Well, Mole is more familiar with the Eastern dragonflies than I am, and he can double-check me, but my guess would be an Eastern Pondhawk, the next one a Common Whitetail, and the second one may be a Twelve Spotted Skimmer. #1 and three I couldn't say.

That is quite a variety to find on one place at one time, and well photographed. I never would have thought of the Bigma as a close-up lens, but then, I have never handled one - Paul, are these cropped?
Thanks for the help on the ID's, penolta. The more I look at the multiple shots of #'s 1 &3, the more I think they are the same species, but that the difference in body color is more a matter of degree, rather that different colors, and is caused by different sun angle. Both insects were photographed on the same branch sticking up, at different times.

I thought the variety was unusual, and today, I saw two or three more species of which I simply couldn't get shots. I have to be crazy because I was sitting outside today in 100+ degree heat trying for a flight shot for more than an hour..... not even close to success.

These shots were cropped. I couldn't fill frame and still focus because of minimum focusing distance on the lens. The following is, I think, the original shot on #1 to give you an idea of crop. The only editing done on this shot is resizing the JPEG for the forum. I was shooting in RAW+, so the original images had a little Lightroom tweaking, plus sharpening, and noise reduction on some of them.

Paul
Attached Images

Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:32 PM   #9

Awesome shooting Paul. I don't know how you manage anything as heavy as the Bigma and come away with such fine shots.

My favorite is the last one of the grasshoppers. The colors are remarkable and the blue background makes them pop.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:44 PM   #10

A lot of people like that grasshopper shot - unfortunately it will not load for me. The top 1/10 of the photo loads and then just grey. I've tried downloading it but no difference. Is it hosted / posted in the same way as the other shots ? Very strange.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote