Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:47 PM   #11

I like #2 the best. I just love the color and the look of the clouds. Here at the eastern end of Lake Erie a lot of weather develops as it comes off the lake and I get to see a lot of thunderstorm clouds form off in the distance. Photographing clouds like that is something that I wouldn't mind getting a good handle on.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:01 PM   #12

Harriet, I have been a cloud watcher for a long time (although we don't see them that often over the LA basin), and I have to say that #2 has the strangest cloud formation I have ever seen. Unless it is building towards a thunderhead, I don't quite know how to explain it. You ought to send it to Dallas Raines at Channel 7 - I'll bet he can explain it and will show it on one of his weathercasts, too. And I like the placement of the moon in the last shot.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:24 PM   #13

Very nice Harriet. The cloud in #2 is stunning! Without seeing a before and after it's hard to tell what effect the software had, but I assume it was significant.

Nice detail on the crescent moon.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:34 PM   #14

penolta - sometimes I think we see fewer clouds than you do - we don't get the marine layer. But then we do get a certain amount of instability and that can make things interesting. I think that's what was going on here - there was some monsoonal moisture that was causing a certain amount of instability and this cloud was trying to become a thunderhead. However, the sun went down before it fully developed and all the clouds went away. The ridge I was looking at is the very edge of the mountains - on the other side of it is the San Joaquin valley. The San Andreas fault zone is between me and the ridge.

The file has been rather significantly edited, I'll post the original below. Do you still think I should send the edited version in?

Actually Viveza doesn't exactly work in circles - it's specific to the point where you click to start the circle (the center). For instance, I clicked on the lighter cloud and selected all of the cloud I wanted but also included quite a bit of the sky. The program lightened the reds/oranges that were under the point I selected, not the darker blue sky or the darker clouds. Then I clicked on the sky, making the circle most of the picture and darkened the blue. The cloud was within the circle but it wasn't affected. You can also make global changes to the picture if it needs it.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:02 PM   #15
Super Moderator

very dramatic cloud formations here. great light.

#1 and #2 are my favorites. i think you could have cropped alot off of #1 putting the horizon lower in the frame and emphasizing the clouds more.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 2:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
The file has been rather significantly edited, I'll post the original below. Do you still think I should send the edited version in?
Hey there,
thanks for posting the original image. I am a cloud fan to say so and I know, that almost every sky/cloud image is "possible" color-wise and so on... still I thought you postprocessed too much. With the original image I can see, that you indeed got some very dramatic clouds, it must have been a wonderful sight.

As for postprocessing... I guess you were trying for an even more dramatic look? What about some local contrast enhancement? I used a retinex filter twice (high and low) and merged the layers in overlay mode. Contrast was stretched and used as Hue layer. Of course one could add only a few percent of these changes to an image and not the full effect, if needed/wanted... (I worked from your posted original)

Result is here - maybe you'll get some ideas from it?

As for sending in your image --> try it! The tree silhouettes add that special something and frame... why not?

Regards,
Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:42 PM   #17

Hi Harriet,

Hope you fill better.

I love the color on the clouds, it show great deal of drama, and that is eye catching to me.

It makes me wonder what will develop next, to feet in the natures plan.
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Autofocus
http://razzi.me/zuken
Zuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:07 PM   #18

Zuken - I did take a later shot, with the clouds a much paler pink. The cloud was mostly blown away, just a hint of the form still in the sky. It was really cool.

th - I thought about processing it in a similar way, but didn't want the clouds on the right as prominent as you have them - I purposefully toned them down so that the eye would look first to the towering cloud.

hards - I agree with you about the framing for the first one. I had actually included more of the mountain in the original framing because I exposure bracketed, thinking to do an HDR and bring out a lot more detail in the mountain. It didn't work at all - colors really were weird in the HDR version and the trees made it very hard to do a layer mask to block out the parts I didn't want on each layer. I should have cropped more off the bottom, but didn't want it to look like a pano and couldn't decide what part of the clouds to crop off the sides if I weren't going to go for the long, narrow look. I got lazy I guess...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote