Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 9, 2010, 3:03 PM   #1

Default The old sewing machine

Hey all,
for the August challenge I used this old sewing machine as my first entry and if you want to see some more pictures this thread is the right place to be.

The photos were developed using QImage, which I use for most of the batch jobs. Then I did some very minor postprocessing, basically this is what I've got straight from the camera, I didn't even cropped.

For some reason I was fascinated by this old machine - have fun looking around!

Regards,
Th.

P.S. @mtngal
I hope you like these - I got the idea for the thread from your comment in the August challenge thread.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2010, 3:05 PM   #2

Oops - 5 attachments max. in one posting... I didn't even knew that . Ok, here are the other 3 images.

Th.
Attached Images

Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:00 PM   #3

What a beautiful instrument - it looks like it's seen many many years of faithful service. Does it still work? I enjoyed the pictures - though first of the metal close-ups looks a bit blown out, blocking some of what looks like beautiful detail work. I like your small dof with these, your fascination with it comes through your pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:05 PM   #4

No 2 is my favorite, these a great thanks for sharing.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
What a beautiful instrument - it looks like it's seen many many years of faithful service. Does it still work? I enjoyed the pictures - though first of the metal close-ups looks a bit blown out, blocking some of what looks like beautiful detail work. I like your small dof with these, your fascination with it comes through your pictures.
Hello mtngal,
I bet it still works, but can't say for sure. I only know it as a piece of room decoration so far - but since you know these machines... they usually run for centuries

The blown out highlights are here for the reason to show the difference to the HDR challenge image, that's why I left them in place and didn't try a recovery. The more we speak about that machine, the more I get interested to play around with the images, though

Interesting how you noticed the small DOF - since I was very sure, that I couldn't capture the high dynamic range I went back to my usual strategy to capture only parts of an object - and for this task a small DOF can help to point the viewers eye to the right place in the image.

@NMRecording
Yes, #2 is my favourite, too. Best compromise to cover the high dynamic range, the details and the scenery to my mind.

Kind regards,
Th
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:27 PM   #6

Brings back a flood of memories, Th.
I have no idea what happened to it but, my mother use to have one she got when her mother passed away 54 years ago. I bet it still work too, where ever it is.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Brings back a flood of memories, Th.
I have no idea what happened to it but, my mother use to have one she got when her mother passed away 54 years ago. I bet it still work too, where ever it is.
Oh yes,
that's what I felt, too. I can remember my grandma using one and she even allowed me to sew a bit on my own. Wasn't easy to get the hang for it - use the big metal wheel to the lower right (not the small one in my images) to start the rotation, then use your feet to keep things going, all the while handling fabric/cloth and so on.

Thanks for your comments,
Th.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:14 AM   #8

How old is this machine? Still looks very new.
FCOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCOI View Post
How old is this machine? Still looks very new.
Interesting question

I found that webpage here --> http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_1letter.html

and according to the serial number (can be seen in one of the images) it's a C-series model, which in turn means production started 1908 in Wittenberge, Germany.

Th.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:57 AM   #10

Think bynx has it beat by a few years