Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 15, 2010, 6:43 PM   #1

Default Pop Photos 2010 Best Buys - K7 and K-x

The Pentax K7 with the Sigma 10-20mm wide angle lens is the top buy SLR for outdoor use, and the only dslr above entry level selected for the year; the K-x kit with 18-55 and 50-200 lenses is one of 5 entry level dslr top buys. GW's Tamron 10-24 and the Tamron 90mm macro (a favorite of many in this forum) were also chosen (Sept 2010 issue, just out). The K-x was also the recipient of TIPA's best photo products of 2010 award for Best Entry Level D-SLR (August 2010 Shutterbug).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2010, 8:41 PM   #2

Interesting about the K7, not surprising about the Kx. I still would love to have a camera with the functions of the K7 and the sensor of the Kx. I guess they were looking at the weather sealing and other factors. Glad to see that Pentax is getting some recognition for a change.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:50 AM   #3

Default Pentax k-5 ?

I read about the coming PENTAX K-5. Does it sound like they have potentially fixed the K7 high ISO and focus issues? Is the price jump sound worth it to those that use the K7? Just cant tell if I should wait ...have K10.
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:32 AM   #4

Really good news for Pentax.

@Bowenp,

I've read a lot of controversial info about the k-5, for some it will be placed between the k7 and the Kx. It still are leaks so I wouldn't take them to much a true.
On the other hand if you can wait I also read somewhere that 20 Sept all will be revealed.

PENTAX K-5:
- 16 million pixels (SONY new sensor)
- ISO 25600
- 7 frames per sec
- 139,000 (too high price - $1625 , but it could be $1400 at US market))
- announcement on September 20
- Released in mid-October
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:42 AM   #5

I was surprised to see the K7 get accolades from pop photo. They seemed lukewarm about it in their test.

But I do agree with them in their best buy award. I quote from my copy;

" The Pentax K-7 is the least expensive DSLR with extensive weatherproofing seals, making it a fine choice for nature or sports photographers on a budget. Built in image stabilization and 100 % viewfinder accuracy, too."

PP also gave the nod to the Pentax 55-300 mm zoom as one of the inexpensive zooms .."...with surprising optical quality....". Also the KX as a DSLR bargain, along with other DSLR's from Nikon, Canon and Sony.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:27 PM   #6

Very interesting. I haven't heard anything about the K5 yet, sounds like it may have some some potential strong points.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:21 PM   #7

There are tons of rumors floating around about the supposed K5 and Kr. Who knows if the names are accurate. Most of what I've read sounds like someone's wish list or guesses, rather than actual leaks. I've finally gotten tired of reading about it all - so many things contradict other things. The only thing that I think will happen is that Pentax will announce something toward the end of September (the 20th sounds about right, but I'd guess that's an approximation), either at or a couple of days before Photokina. If they don't, there's going to be a huge number of disappointed Pentaxians.

I'm happy to wait until the official announcement is made - I'm not likely to be in the market for another camera any time soon. I've successfully resisted a white Kx (now it's the olive one) so far.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:19 PM   #8

This from the Pentax Forum's new home page (this is supposed to be a translation from a Japanese source reporting preliminary information released by Pentax Japan, not just anybody's speculation - we will know in less than a month if it is so):

Quote:
PENTAX K-5 - New Pentax flagship model
16 Megapixel Sensor
Maximum expanded ISO of 25600
7 frames per second
To be officially announcd on September 20th
To be released in October, 2010
$1600 suggested retail price
Serious-amateur/professional use
The Pentax K-5 will be the successor to the Pentax K-7, Pentax's current flagship model. Although the K-5 will still employ an APS-C sensor, we expect this model to build upon the main shortcoming of the K-7: high-ISO performance. With a maximum ISO of 25600 (4 times that of the K-7), the K-5 is bound to perform very well at lower ISOs such as 6400 or 3200, at which the K-7 had great difficulty producing usable photos. If the K-5 will indeed launch with the current suggested price of $1600, it will not only become the most advanced digital SLR in its price class, but also a formidable rival for competing manufacturers.

PENTAX KR

12 Mexapixel Sensor
6 frames per second
Up to 120 color combinations: 10 body colors, and 12 grip colors
To be officially announcd in September
To be released in October, 2010
$875 suggested retail price
Into-level DSLR
The Pentax KR will succeed the Pentax K-x, which revolutionized the intro-level DSLR market back in 2009. The KR is expected to further extend the already-wide feature set of the K-x, with an improved frame rate among with added controls. At $875, it will retain is place on the market as the most cost-effective intro-level DSLR. Upon the launch of the KR, the K-x's price is expected to fall significantly, making it an even bigger steal!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 4:40 AM   #9

That K5 looks extremely exciting - the main two gripes I have with my K7 is the high ISO performance and focusing speed (not bad but could be a lot faster). If they have both been addressed then sign me up !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 5:36 AM   #10

i've been considering the k5 or possibly switching to nikon so interested to see what the d400 will bring

would rather stay with pentax but is a glass problem - really wish the SDM was more reliable and they catered for telephoto and super telephoto more - seriously why no 70-200 f2.8?? why no 500mm f4 - 600mm f5.6 etc??? sigma lens are not bad but dont think anyone claims they are as good as the canon and nikon equivalents and the pentax lenses they used to make were supposed to be fantastic - so yeah gripe gripe

anyway if pentax gets some more exposure maybe enough sales to justify bringing back those lenses
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote