Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:54 AM   #11

sweet car pics there mtngal
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:03 AM   #12

I really like the images where you have concentrated on a detail or form and not the entire car. Really like the yellow Corvette side view mirror.
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-P2, E-P5, OM-D E-M1: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:54 PM   #13

Really wonderful series - I so enjoyed looking through that. So many excellent shots but I love the way your use of HDR has really brought out the detail and given almost a 3D effect to some of those shots.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 2:56 PM   #14

Ira - I was far happier with the detail shots than I was for the ones that tried to capture the whole car. The two I posted here were the only two I thought were somewhat acceptable.

The Corvette's side mirror picture was one that I really thought about, rather than just saying "oh, cool - get a shot of that". I wanted a detail shot, but one that someone could look at and would know what car it was from. And I also had in mind the dof I wanted to have with it also. I was really pleased with the way it came out - it came out the way I wanted and also looked neat (they don't always go together as too often I get what I want but it doesn't work as well as I had expected).

HDR software is really just the starting point for me. I run them through Photomatix not changing a whole lot beyond the default settings (sometimes I have to adjust the white point and sometimes the smoothing settings, but often just accept the defaults). Then it's re-imported into Lightroom where I then adjust the contrast to the way I want it (almost always add contrast). I wish I would remember to add profiles before exporting to Photomatix as the 12-24 has a fair amount of CA, and the profile I have will deal with most of it easily. That's easier than trying to correct it once it's an HDR tiff file. This is when I'll do any cropping (I like LR's crop tool better than the one in CS4). By this time it's close to what I want, I'll export it to CS4, resize it there and use Detail for sharpening.

I was reading a magazine that talked about using high pass filter for sharpening (I've done that, too), and how it's frustrating not to be able to make slight changes once you've done it (same thing with USM, too). You have to undo it and then start over again. Topaz Lab's Detail is the same way (it's a filter plug-in). The article I was reading explained the way around that - make a new layer, make that a smart object and then apply your filter. Since it's a smart object, you can just click on the filter's name in the layer menu and it will re-open the filter (or plug-in) and change the settings - very cool in my opinion. I never understood smart objects or thought of a good use for them before.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:48 PM   #15

Hey,
I like the images. HDR techniques are certainly used here, but the effect looks rather naturally than overprocessed and that's great. Well done.

I bet it wasn't too easy to settle on a point of view and detail for a lot of images.

regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 2:27 PM   #16

Harriet,
I think you underestimate your abilities, tyhese are great!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:10 PM   #17

These are beautiful Harriet. Your HDR looks so natural I never would have guessed they were HDR. I am especially taken with the first; that reflection is amazing!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:16 PM   #18

you have to be nimble to shoot cars good shots
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:41 PM   #19

I just looked at the pictures again - the last one has too prominent halos in the sky, didn't notice that at first.

pbjunkiee - it does help to be short, but yes, nimble comes in handy. For the most part, I found bending over some gave me better pictures. Detail shots are always relatively easy for me - spot something cool and press the shutter. It's the full car shots or the frontal shots and the framing that gave me fits. The ones posted here are the ones I thought worked out well - not the "almost" ones.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:48 PM   #20

Really for car shots imo, the lower our the higher the better, anywhere in between is neutral, but either the lower or higher you get the more dynamic the shot... thats just me though.... well that and location.... and how wide the shot is...