Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:32 PM   #11

there is 130 lenses for the d5000 and d3000, but much more for the d90 and up for nikon. And well over 200 for canon. This includes all the 3rd party lenses.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:35 PM   #12

But the point is still .....do you have the lenses you need, at the price point you can afford, with over a 100 to choose from I've not been short of choice yet. For others that may not hold true, maybe especially for pros.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:37 PM   #13

that is not the point, the point was that oly had limited lenses option, and pentax is the same. Both are about 90-100 lenses total to choose from currently. Not saying you can not find the right lens. Just talking about options available.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:50 AM   #14

Maybe the number of lenses between Oly and Pentax are about the same. However, there are two huge differences between the two: 1) Most Oly lenses are not 4/3, which means two things: you'll need an adapter and lenses are all MF; 2) all Pentax lenses will fit on any Pentax body without the need of any adapter AND even though the old lenses are also MF, you can use a technique called focus trap, in which the body beeps once you reach focus. So in a way, it's like dealing with an AF lens. Maybe this is one of the reasons why old Pentax glass is more expensive. Most people don't like to use MF lenses so those old Canon/Nikon/Minolta glasses may not be as desirable.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:44 PM   #15

With old glass, it is a different story. But with modern glass, there is no real difference between the 2. MF if fun at times. But it is not for everyone. I rather use the split prism and shoot film when shooting MF. But some enjoy it.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 2:49 PM   #16

I put a split prism focusing screen in my K7 - and love it. It is superb when used with MF glass and greatly increased the number of keepers, especially when shooting macro.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
With old glass, it is a different story. But with modern glass, there is no real difference between the 2. ...
Oly does not have 100 4/3 lenses to choose from. So, we must be talking old glasses here.

Tullio
Old Aug 17, 2010, 7:56 PM   #18

not oly but if you add all the other brands, it gets close to 90.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:16 AM   #19

I did a quick count. Pentax has I believe 28 current lenses available from the factory (I ran out of fingers and toes to count with) - on the website. I did not count lenses currently available from Zeiss, Sigma and Tamron. All of these are stabilized with the body.

Nikon currently has 56 lenses on the market, of which 9 are stabilized.

Canon currently has 57 lenses on the market, of which 25 are stabilized.

I did not go back and try to find old lenses and the like. Thus, maybe not in absolute numbers, but stabilized offerings - apples to apples, the body counts appear pretty reasonable.

Not trying to be "Pentax is always right/best or whatever", here. Just trying to normalize the numbers, for a reasonable view of the situation.

As to why they are more expensive? Well, a couple of years ago, I waited and watched to see if Pentax was going to have another lens rebate like they use to have when I entered the Pentax system. Waited for naught - and pulled out the checkbook - paid retail. They are probably able to sell everything that they are making - especially with the KX based demand.

Last edited by interested_observer; Aug 18, 2010 at 10:20 AM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 2:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
... Pentax has I believe 28 current lenses available from the factory ...

Nikon currently has 56 lenses on the market, of which 9 are stabilized.

Canon currently has 57 lenses on the market, of which 25 are stabilized.

Well, Pentax is ahead in terms of stabilization since ALL 28 lenses are stabilized due to IBIS.

Tullio