Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:40 AM   #1

Default Why are Pentax lenses more expensive?

I should have posted this question on the Pentax Lenses forum but this forum gets 10x more traffic, so...here I go...

I regularly get discount offers from Amazon on various lens brands (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina) but they are always for Canon or Nikon mounts. Never Pentax. I also noticed that Pentax lenses on eBay tend to go for a lot more money than Canon/Nikon/Sony lenses. Now, the eBay trend I can understand as the supply & demand ratio for Canon/Nikon/Sony is higher than for Pentax. But why Pentax lenses in general cost more than their counterparts? Any ideas? Does it also have to do with the fact that manufacturers make a lot less Pentax lenses than other mounts?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:18 PM   #2

I can only surmise that the recent (last few years) increase in Pentax shooters has seen the price of 2nd hand lenses soar (basic supply/demand). For 3rd Party manufacturers then I guess it's the economy of scale (or lack of) - there are just far far more Canikon shooters. It is for this reason that 3rd Party lenses for Pentax are often the last of the Top 4 (inc. Canon / Nikon / Sony) to be produced. Just be happy you are not an Oly shooter as sometimes they can't get some of those lenses at all.

Last edited by Frogfish; Aug 16, 2010 at 12:20 PM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:57 PM   #3

Tullio-

I believe that frogfish has described the lens market quite well. The market size and demand is one of the biggest factors affecting the price of any lens. It also affects whether a third party lens maker such as Tamron, Sigma, Tokina etc will design, produce and market lenses for Pentax DSLR/SLR cameras.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:59 PM   #4

Think the supply has not kept up with demand, so prices has gone up. The K-x's has a large part to do with demand out pacing supply.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:22 PM   #5

Thank you guys for your 2c worth. I figured that supply/demand had something to do with it but not to that extent. A while back I was interested in a Vivitar 55mm macro to use with my m4/3 cameras. Since I had the Pentax K to m4/3 adapter, I looked for the lens on a Pentax mount. Found one on eBay. I placed a high bid of $110 when the current bid was $58. In the end, I was outbid by $30. Unreal. Then I found the same lens but with Canon FD mount instead. Bought it for $70 with a Buy it Now + adapter for $25. I didn't mind that because there were a few Canon FD lenses I was interested in buying anyway.

Tullio
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
...Just be happy you are not an Oly shooter as sometimes they can't get some of those lenses at all.
Very true. I used to have Olys (E510 and E520) but not any more (well, I still have an EP1 but it's up for sale). I like Olys but in terms of lens selections, it's probably one of the worst systems one can have.

Tullio
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:28 PM   #7

pentax is not much better if lens selection is a priority, you will need to look at canon and nikon. There is only about 90 to 100 lenses available to the pentax
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:19 PM   #8

Shoturtle-

I have been able to find all the excellent Pentax lens that I need. In fact, I just got a slightly used Pentax DAL 55-300mm lens for $200.00. That is great, I mean both the deal and the image quality of the lens. The lenses are there is you are willing to buy used and you are very careful in selecting your lenses.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 7:21 PM   #9

but that is not the point, it is about the mount of options out there, and pentax just do not have as many options the canon and nikon. Finding used is one thing, having a large selection is another.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:31 PM   #10

Sho - I read recently that there are around 130 lenses available to Canikon shooters & 100 to Pentax, considering some of the advantages of Pentax thats a ratio I'm happy to accept for now as I don't feel I am being deprived of anything for the subjects I shoot. Horses for courses and all that.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote