Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:39 PM   #1

Default In Wales, there be dragon(flie)s

Well finally they have come out in abundance, usual story, either been busy with work, or the weather has been bad, so only just today had the time/weather to go out and make an effort to catch some on camera.

Remembered the batteries for the macro flash this time, but for some stupid reason didn't notice the camera was set to ISO800. I did wonder at the time why I had to stop down to f/25, but obviously was too engrossed in the dragonflies to bother to check why. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to re-do these at ISO100 or so, and they come out a bit (lot) sharper...

Larger crop of the above shot:

This was the only one that wanted to actually have his(?) photo taken, and was completely oblivious to me, even at 1:1 macro, which is only a few inches away from the subject.

I spotted an absolutely stunning black and orange dragonfly, but just as I was going to take a photo, some woman came bumbling up the path and it flew off...
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2010, 6:22 PM   #2

Extremely awesome, Ash!
I wouldn't be ashamed of these at all.
Cheers,

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:28 PM   #3

That's amazingly good luck. I can never get anywhere close enough to get that kind of magnification.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 12:51 AM   #4

wow, these have incredible detail, do you use live view to focus when in macro? a very nice series.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 1:54 AM   #5

Well, you've got some wider DOF that way which can't hurt for macro shots anyway, right?

Thanks for sharing, these are some nice images and I wouldn't worry too much about image quality/detail. I checked with you last image and with some quick changes it looks like this. Of course the noise is visible, but there is PLENTY of detail (at least to my mind) and you can see very small structures.

Regards,
Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 2:23 AM   #6

Thanks all!

Yeah still happy with them, just wished I noticed the ISO was wrong before I got home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkn777 View Post
Well, you've got some wider DOF that way which can't hurt for macro shots anyway, right?

Thanks for sharing, these are some nice images and I wouldn't worry too much about image quality/detail. I checked with you last image and with some quick changes it looks like this. Of course the noise is visible, but there is PLENTY of detail (at least to my mind) and you can see very small structures.

Regards,
Th.
Cheers, can you give me the workflow for the image you edited, I only did some minor curves/saturation/unsharp mask as it was the end of the day and I was tired. More than happy with the noise in your version considering the detail you recovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRecording View Post
wow, these have incredible detail, do you use live view to focus when in macro? a very nice series.
Thanks!

I did for one or two, but for the most part I was contorting with my head in the bush and wasps flying around me. Ended up with grass stains and rabbit poo on my knees, which was something I had to endure for the rest of the working day.

Even with the latest firmware update, I still find live view lags too much for macro work, the smallest movement can put the subject out of focus or move it out of the frame I was intending.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 2:33 AM   #7

Gorgeous shots Ash ! That is definitely the same species that I shot over here in Shanghai a couple of months ago (they are all hiding now with temperatures 35 - 42C almost every day), quite amazing really. Fabulous detail ! I think that F25 did you no harm at all !

Absolutely agree with you for Live View - the lag is far too long for macro.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 2:45 AM   #8

Thanks Frog!

Cool, interesting to know that even in your neck of the woods we are seeing exactly the same bugs. Shame I don't get those crazy flies of yours with the cool eyes.

I don't know for sure, but I think Pentax tweaked the PEF format in the last update for the K-7, so the Pentax Camera Utility thing doesn't work anymore with PEF files, so been using GIMP to edit them. Luckily it supports PEF, and has some rather nice denoise tools, which helped clean these up a bit without destroying too much detail.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:05 AM   #9

Hmmm maybe I should give Gimp a go - they have a Mac version. However I already have a bunch of them either as stand-alones or plug-ins; Topaz (can't get this to work with Aperture 3 for some reason - probably need to reinstall, Aperture, Pixelmator, LR, Bibble, Nik's Define (use this the most).

That is very strange - PEF files not opening in Pentax' own software !

I await with interest thkn777's work flow !
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:22 AM   #10

As GIMP is open source, there's a lot of conversion tools for Photoshop and other plugins, so it might be worth looking on the GIMP community site to see if you can keep using them.

I hate the GIMP interface, and the fact it doesn't support 16bit TIFF files, but that's all being fixed in the new version out (hopefully) later this year, but you can download and compile the beta if you are feeling brave.

Pentax Camera Utility (or whatever it's called) displays the PEF files corrupt, and if I convert them (thinking it was just a display issue) they convert to TIFF/JPG corrupt as well. Not checked to see if there is an updated version of it, I installed whatever was on the CD.