Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 21, 2010, 5:54 PM   #11

Amazing bee-in-flight photos - you are indeed an outstanding macro-photographer!
The beetle looks like something in the Cerambycidae (Long Horned Beetle) family, but not like any I've seen here in North America!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:48 PM   #12

Kevin, great macro's. Love the bees in flight. Good patience and fine shooting.

The beetle looks like the Chinese Longhorn. They are a serious problem here in the states as pesticides don't touch them. They bore into hardwood trees killing them. The only way to eliminate them at the moment is by cutting down the tree. In china there are natural predators that control the beetle but here none exist.

They are coming into the states in wooden pallets used to ship goods to retailers like Wal-Mart & Home Depot. In Massachusetts we have had some infestation and forest service workers are becoming alarmed.

If the beetle is large it is more likely the CLB. If it is small it could be another species.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 1:35 PM   #13

Mole - Thank you so much for your very kind comments. I think the bees were worth the wait but I'm definitely going to have another go before the end of the Summer.

Lou - Thank you ! I'm glad you enjoyed them.

After a little research I found that the black & white beetle is actually the Asian Longhorn Beetle (Anoplophora glabripennis 5 to 7 cms long). I think that is the one you mean Lou.

I still can't find the name for the green one though - important too note though that is has no super long antennae like the Asian Longhorn or other Longhorns. I'm thinking maybe it is some form of Scarab or maybe June beetle.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:09 PM   #14

I like #7 and especially #8. #7 for the reflections and the clear metallic look - but that last one (#8) is the winner by far. I like the long antennas and how the shallow DOF dosn't hurt the overall image. Good detail in the bug, too. Great capture!

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:08 PM   #15

Nice to see a Longhorn photographed in daylight - most that I have seen have been attracted to lights at night. The other beetle looks like a flower beetle, but a scarab at any rate, as you have suggested.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:39 PM   #16

Thank you for your kind comments Thkn777.

Sorry to say those were the Longhorn's last few minutes of life - maybe that's why they don't come out so often in daylight, the birds spot them easily as they look huge in flight.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote