Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:34 PM   #1

Default Bees & Beetles

Busy month for me at work so not much time to get out and work on that HDR shot ! Still I found an hour today to walk around my compound and took the Tamron 90 Di Macro with me.

I came across this flowering vine creeping over an evergreen bush (can anyone tell me what it is ?) and it was attracting a lot of attention from the local insect population ! Bees, Beetles & Ants, even a moth, seemed to be gorging themselves on the nectar from the gorgeous little flowers it has produced.
Attached Images

Last edited by Frogfish; Aug 21, 2010 at 8:19 AM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:41 PM   #2

These were the beetles. Anyone know what the black & white one was ? I say was because once he had ate his fill he took off and was immediately caught in mid-flight by two of the local birds racing each other to this tasty snack !
Attached Images

Last edited by Frogfish; Aug 20, 2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:57 PM   #3

Oops think I reduced this series too much, such small photos ..... and impacted quality too. Never mind you get the gist of it ! The green & golden beetle had a gorgeous carapace - it was soooo into the nectar ! I was waiting to get a Beetle in Flight shot and after 15 mins lost patience waiting for it to take off, I tapped it from underneath expecting it to take off .... but no way ! I could even lift it up but it wouldn't take it's head out of the flower !!
Old Aug 20, 2010, 3:56 PM   #4

Pretty nice shots in spite of the size, Kev.
You got some good ones. Can't say I recognize the B&W bug, although it looks similar to a conifer. wish I could see it from a top view.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 4:02 AM   #5

Great shots mate!

Not caught any decent shots of bees in flight, and the beetle shots are stunning.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 9:48 AM   #6

Nifty shots, the bee shots are great fun. I never know anything about bugs, but your b&w beetle is rather neat looking.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:27 AM   #7

Thanks John - if I can be bothered I'll update larger version because I thought they were sharp.

Cheers Ash - the beetles were beautiful and bees fun (but lots and lots of wasted shots - I think I spent around 2 hours on this one vine) !

Thanks Harriet, it's just timing with the bees (because I had the flash up so only one try per bee) - however most of the time I guessed wrong !
Old Aug 21, 2010, 1:33 PM   #8

Kevin, you are quite the master of Tamron 90. I saw in an English photo magazine an advert for the Tamron 60 macro. It is about 40 pounds more expensive... Do you know anything about this? A L S O ! ! ! Have you taken any pictures with a Kit lens and the same photo with your Tamron 90??? The reason is, is that I am thinking of getting this lens... but I really want to know if there is a real difference in IQ, a REAL difference, mind you.

Thanks and all the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 1:50 PM   #9

Thank you Ned - very kind words that I aspire to. When I bought the 90 I did quite some research after seeing quite stunning pictures from an official Pentax photographer using what was then the new 60. However the big issue in the end was the working distance to the subject ..... the longer the lens the more working distance you have. Hence the 90 won over the 60.

I don't have the kit lenses Ned ... when I bought the camera I bought it body only. Though by coincidence I went to one of the Chinese camera malls today, sold off the unwanted Spotmatics and a couple of M42 lenses and bought myself the DA 55-300 with the proceeds, so maybe in the future. The Tamron 90 is going to be sharper though, it's a cracking lens for portraits as well as macro.

Last edited by Frogfish; Aug 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:16 PM   #10

Many thanks for getting back to me. All the best. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote